I Am Thinking Email Is A Scam

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm by Cake_Karen

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 6

The only reason I thinking this may not be a scam is because two days ago I received a phone call just before 10:00 pm asking about a cake. The person calling spoke very broken english and it was difficult to explain that everything I do is for custom orders.

The conversation went like this:
Caller: Is your shop still open?

Me: I have a licensed home bakery not a shop, did you want to place an order?

Caller: I want to stop by to get cake.

Me: All my orders/pick ups are by appointment only because they are custom made for each order.

Caller: I want appointment.

Me: When?

Caller: Now.

Me: What are you wanting to pick up?

Caller: Chocolate cake.

Me: I am not a shop (besides it is 10 at night, he is fortunate I wasn't already in bed) and do not have items available to purchase. Everything must be ordered at least 1 day in advance.

Caller: You have nothing right now?

Me: No. Giant Eagle and Wal Mart are open 24 hrs a day. If you need something tonight I would suggest one of those stores.

So, today I get this email (from an unidentified email address):

Hello,

My friend's birthday is near. And I want to book a birthday cake for her.

I have no idea which one is better, so I want to taste first.

Do you have pictures or something that I can go and look? If yes, I want to go on Monday afternoon.

Because they want an appointment I am wondering if it is the same person that called a couple days ago. Should I respond or just let it go?

5 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried Googling the person's name or their email address (I'm not sure what you mean by unidentified email address)? It does sound scammish to me, as well as a bit frightening.

Since I grew up in a crime-ridden area, my first instinct would be to think someone wanted to either harm me or rob me. Please tell me you don't live alone? I get paranoid about things like that.

Even if it's not someone out to harm you (physically), it still could be a money scam.

I haven't seen that particular one yet, but it's possible that it's new.

My advice: Google for any identifying information that's included in the email, as well as the phone number (if you can).

And if you can't find where the email is coming from, and you don't know how to look at the header information, feel free to PM me and ask if you can forward it to me.

HTH!

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 6

I would be careful. But they do already have your email address. Maybe email back and state you only make appointments on the phone and ask for their phone number and name. When you have the name, you should be able to google and possibly use reverse telephone lookup if the phone is not a cell phone. It would be a shame to not help someone that is legitimately looking for a cake but may be uncomfortable with the English language. But is it also wise to be very careful. Good luck in whatever you decide.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

First off, I don't live alone, I am married.
Second, there was no name or number on the email. Which isn't all that rare. I get several emails a month reading "I need a cake in August, can you do that?". No date, name, guest count...

I like the idea of asking for a phone number to confirm details. I only offer consultations on orders of 80 servings more, so that would be my way out.

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

First off, I don't live alone, I am married.
Second, there was no name or number on the email. Which isn't all that rare. I get several emails a month reading "I need a cake in August, can you do that?". No date, name, guest count...

I like the idea of asking for a phone number to confirm details. I only offer consultations on orders of 80 servings more, so that would be my way out.

I need a cake in August, can you do that? -- Too funny!

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 6

If you are unsure about this I would just message back and say thank you for your enquiry but you are fully booked for Monday and would not be able to help out on this occasion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%