rudoo Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 10:03pm
post #1 of

I have my first "paid for" cake order! So now I want to ask everyone for their suggestions on how you would make this cake. They want a cake shaped like a speed limit. You know "Speed Limit 55". Her husband will be turning 55. I am going to stast looking for pictures. You know, it's something you see everyday, but can't remember the exact details. I can't wait to hear from everyone! Thanks, Jonna icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
sweetbaker Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 10:34pm
post #2 of

Congratulations! Use a sheet cake with short sides horizontal. This should give you the shape you need. I think its white background with black letters and border. Oh I'm sure you can get picture by searching on google or yahoo. Good luck!

Joshsmom Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 11:02pm
post #3 of

Just wanted to say congratulations on your first order thumbs_up.gif

cybourg Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 11:07pm
post #4 of

Congrats on your first "paid" cake! And may many more come your way.

Daniela Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 1:47am
post #5 of

Rudoo,
Congratulations on your first order. I wish you many many more!! icon_biggrin.gif

Daniela

cakes-r-us Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 2:42am
post #6 of

How about as you are driving notice the shape of the speed limit sign and make yourself a template and cut it out from the sheet cake. sounds like a fun cake to make.

rudoo Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 2:55pm
post #7 of

I have been thinking of how to do the sign. Should I do the outline of words then fill in with star tip? Or use a shiney black gel to fill in? Which one do you think would look better? Jonna

Rainbow_Moon Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 8:22pm
post #8 of

i swear i JUST saw a Speed Limit 55 sign on the gallery here last night. i will see if i can find it for you...

Rainbow_Moon Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 8:32pm
post #9 of

found it...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=8189&cat=0&pos=3

or look at the photos under pooker - if the link doesn't work. otherwise it's in the birthday cakes, under just regular birthday cakes, i think like 3 pages in. you'll see it right away.

traci Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 9:18pm

Here is a link I found. I think a sheet cake with the piping gel letter and numbers would look best.
http://www.nsc.org/issues/driving/speed55.jpg

tastycakes Posted 4 Sep 2005 , 9:31pm

I like the shiny piping gel too, just use a plain tip, like a 3 to outline and a 12 to fill in.

rudoo Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 2:10pm

Thanks Rainbow Moon and Traci for the links. I now have another delemma(sp?).My friend wants me to use a 9" pan and do a chocolate and white checker board design. I think that will be neat with the cake design but, it does change how I do the sign on the top. Been thinking now about a FBCT or using those pens to draw in on fondant to make the sign and place that on top of the cake. What do you guys think? Jonna

Rainbow_Moon Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 7:38pm

i have not used the pens yet (going to buy them today with my michael's 50% off coupon yippeeee!!!) but have heard they are hard to use unless your surface is completely smooth. i have a feeling they wouldn't be the best for doing a large blocky design like this one, unless you are doing the sign on a smaller scale.

i'm not sure i understand the checkerboard design - a 9" square pan with checkerboard cake inside? or checkerboard design on top?

if she wants to do a checkerboard design on top you could do that in BC, then you could make a smaller white sign out of fondant (to lay on top) and do the outline and wording with BC?

rudoo Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 8:04pm

The pans are round with inserts to make rings of cake batter. You use 2 different colors, rotating color order in each pan. Thaen when you stack them and cut it you get a checkered board design inside! It's really neat looking.

traci Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:40am

That sounds really neat. I have used the pens before and would only recommend them for small details. I think I would use buttercream for your letters and numbers. Good luck and I can't wait to see how it turns out!
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%