Peacock Bridal Shower Cake- Need Help On Color Choices! :)

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm by Kaykaymay

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 10

If these links work properly, here are some drawings of a cake a customer would like for her bridal shower. The wedding is peacock themed, and teal is a big color in the decor. The bridal shower is also incorporating big, foofy hats....like kentucky derby hats, or church hats. Usually big hats with lots of stuff on it...bows, flowers, feathers, etc. This is the design we came up with that she likes, and my original idea was just to do the hat white, but after looking at it we both agree the hat needs to be a different color so that it doesnt just blend in with the rest of the cake. Only problem is....I dont know what color, and neither does she. My first thought was a more pastel lavender. I guess I was worried that with all the dark colors on the feathers, that it may be too dark to do a dark colored hat on a white cake. I dont know though, because there isnt really any pastels in her color scheme. She is leaving it up to me, and Im not really sure so Id appreciate your opinion. icon_smile.gif

Oh, and also, do you think the extra bows I drew in the last image is too much? I kind of like it that way, but again, Id love your thoughts. icon_smile.gif The roses on the cake will be white gumpaste with the petals tipped in metallic gold.

9 replies
LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 10

I think a burnt orange color would set off the darkness and tie the feathers in

Patriciap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Patriciap Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 10

dark purple would definitely looks awesome if you ask me

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 10

Whatever color you choose (burnt orange or dark purple does sound fabulous) it should not be pastel. To me when blending different colors you should stay within the same shade for all the colors as opposed to if you are using one color you can do various shades of that one color. Hope this helps

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 10

Gold? Peacock feathers have a lovely gold/green in them.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with Kaykaymay. Keep the colors more in the jewel tones but all the same intensity. When I think of peacock colors I think emerald purple and teal. I like the idea of burnt oranges, but as accents to highlight the deep colors of the peacock.

Maybe, instead of a ribbon, you could add a gold brooch on the hat. It would give it a great pop while not distracting from the main peacock theme.

JCE62108 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you, guys! Im getting ready to cover the hat now, so I think Im going to go with the darker purple. I guess i was just worried about have all that dark on top of a white cake, but I think you are right about keeping the colors the same. Thanks!

JCE62108 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 10

I think the dark purple ended up looking just fine. I was worried, but sometimes I have a hard time visualizing stuff in my head. Im glad i asked your opinions. lol

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 10

ooooh really pretty, you did a fantastic job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%