Sticky Cake/cupcake Tops

Baking By jade8 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm by Melvira

jade8 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 3

im sure this has been brought up before but i could not figue out how to use the search function to narrow it down but i have been trying out some yellow and chocolate cake recipes in the last few weeks (some from this site and some from books or other sites) and each time i get sticky tops when they are cooled. with cakes i can trim them but it does get messy sometimes. with cupcakes, i dont think it looks very nice and can get messy.
any ideas that will stop this or recipes that dont do this?

2 replies
LindaF144a Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 3

Most of the time, the reason one gets a sticky top is when they are stored in air tight containers without being iced first. It is really not an issue as the stickiness either goes away when you ice, or you can't taste the stickiness.

So don't worry about it, just ice over it. It will be fine.

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 3

Hi jade8! I have found I have the same problem with certain types of cake. Especially the doctored WASC cake. When they come from the oven I put them on cooling racks until cool, then fill and ice. The biggest issue with it is that when I fill them, crumbs stick to the tip, then try to get into the icing. FRUSTRATING!

Now, I know I didn't offer you any help with the 'why is it happening' and 'how do I stop it' part. I guess I'm just offering you the 'I've been there, hon'. It is VERY irritating, but it fortunately doesn't change the taste, etc. I am hopefull that someone will have more info to help you, but in the meantime, I feel your pain! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%