Need Help!

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm by sugarlovemom

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 7

Good Morning everyone!

I'm in the need of encoragment... my cousin ask me to make her wedding cake.... its gonna be for about 100 people... the problem is... is my first wedding cake... i have make wedding cakes out of dummies before but thats it... few month ago i would be so exicted... but after i lost my dad 3 months ago while being pregnant something changed... i baked only about 3 cakes after that and for friends of us etc... but for some reason i dont feel confident anymore... my head is full of " what if she doesnt like it and i ruined her day? what if the cake collapses? what if... what if.... ??? my husb is giving me all support telling me he is completly sure i can make this but still feeling afraid.... any words anybody...experiences or maybe some tips in regarding wedding cakes? please!!!
Thanks so much for reading and have a blessed day.
Jen

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 7

Everyone had to start somewhere! Perhaps you could practice with a real cake first, see how you like it, and then decide if it's something you could do with confidence.

Some people aren't cut out for this for the many reasons that you mentioned. My friend went to beauty school, and although she's good at cutting hair, she couldn't handle reactions or non-reactions from customers and trying to "read" what their responses were, so she quit.

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 7

Im sorry you have been going through such a rough time maybe this will give you something to focus on that helps take your mind off things. The key to wedding cakes is getting the right structural support. As so as it is supported properly and looks even, neat, and clean and taste good then you are good to go! What support are you planning to use? You may one to look in to using SPS or Stress Free Cake System or Cake Stackers. Do you have a good recipe you fill comfortable with?

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 7

Well I just peeked at your gallery. You can absolutely do it! The "white sugar love" cake is amazing. If you made a wedding cake just like that, it would be perfect. And you have several other cakes that are equally as beautiful.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are probably feeling down about that and maybe this is just the thing to pick you up. You'll have something to focus on, and since it's for family, you can put lots of TLC into it. I'm sure your cousin asked you because she knows you will make her a beautiful cake.

As for wedding cake tips, I've never made one so I'm sorry I can't offer any. But I really think you can do it.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7

I understand what you are going through...my husband was my biggest fan when it came to candy and cake making. He died suddenly and it knocked the desire out of me. I had to grieve for awhile and then accepted a few offers. It actually lifted my spirits. I knew my work was good enough for my family and after that I continued. I do not go at the pace I did before as I am the head of the house now and surely don't have the time, but try to please everyone. Your family is a good place to start and you will have so much to share with your baby one a little older. Push through, you can do this.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 7

Jenjcakes, I just took a look at your gallery and you have 3-tier beautiful cakes. Of course you can do it!

Are they all dummies? I think they're real cake, right?

Just start planning and practicing ahead of time!

Some inspiration (I think yours are kind of this same style, simple and elegant):

http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/wedding-cakes.html

http://www.zoeclarkcakes.com/cakes_wedding_iced.html

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 7

people you are so amazing... thanks so much for the support... its helping!!! God bless you all... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%