Organizing Clutter

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm by emrldsky

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 2

so i have sooo much clutter thanks to my husband and son who refuse to get rid of anything. I am determined to try and organize all this madness. Does anyone have any useful tips?...I was wondering if anyone had any inexpensive solutions...maybe regular household items that can be used to store items.

1 reply
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 2

Anyway you can curb their propensity to keep things that they might not need?

My DH agreed to this solution to his computer-part hoarding issue:

He gets one container, and whatever he can fit NEATLY into that container, he gets to keep. The rest will get thrown into the trash.

We'll probably clean out about 8 boxes or other containers just by doing that.

This way, I'm not telling him WHAT he can keep, or that he has to get rid of everything, but rather giving him the choice to prioritize his items.

If your son has too many toys, maybe this would be a good time to try teaching him about giving back, by choosing toys he really wants to keep while donating the rest to a shelter or other place that could use them.

The only other idea I have is to take advantage of your vertical space with shelving. All the closets in our house have one set of wire shelves, all at the same height. I think this is a waste of space and adding additional shelving at different heights can increase the vertical space, giving us a less-cluttered look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%