To Give It Height???

Decorating By caked4life Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm by cherrycakes

caked4life Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 4

I was watching a cake show last night and noticed they'd stacked about eight cake boards under one of the tiers, I'm guessing to give it height. Do you stack boards to give your cake height? How does that work for you?

3 replies
weirkd Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 4

Ive used two or three on the base to give it a fancy look and Ive heard of using cake boards or dummies that were smaller than the tier going on top of it to make it a more interesting shape which also gives it height. Is that what they used it for? Which cake show was it? I watched Challenge last night and didnt catch anything like that but waiting to watch my Amazing Cake that is dvred so was it on there?

CakeDesigns Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 4

I usually use a 5/8" foamcore to give height. I also frost over that so that when is frosted looks like a whole cake (no foam showing).

cherrycakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 4

I'm also wondering about the same thing for an upcoming cake that I'm doing - I would like it to be 6-8" high but only the standard 4" height of cake for serving purposes. I'm thinking of using dummies as the bottom and then stacking the cake on top and covering all in fondant. Recently I've started thinking about making rice krispie treats instead of the dummy. Would either of those options work for you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%