Cake Request I Never Expected- Any Ideas?

Decorating By Rachel5370 Updated 30 Oct 2010 , 3:56am by Apti

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:08am
post #1 of 40

A friend of mine from Jr. High saw my cakes on Facebook and asked for a cake to celebrate Samhain, a wiccan holiday. I am stumped and a little unnerved to be honest. I am hoping it is similar to a Halloween cake or a fall theme, or something benign like that. I mean no offense to anyone who may subscribe to this set of beliefs, I am just very unfamiliar with it. Has anyone else done a cake like this? Does anyone have any ideas? Thankyou. ~Rachel

39 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:35am
post #2 of 40

Here's the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain Is there anyway you could ask your friend what she had in mind? Wiccans generally aren't Satan worshipers, generally more pagan nature/earth worshipers so it's probably something harvestish. Don't do anything you're uncomfortable with but you might be surprised, it's probably no freakier than many Halloween/Day of the Dead cakes.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 40

Being that I would be like you and have no idea what this holiday is about, I did a quick google search and noticed that there is a wheel, that has to do with Samhain (?). I think it would be a good idea to do as a cake or at least a start in a direction. http://www.paganwitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/samhain-wheel-300x300.jpg
Good luck!![/url]

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:46am
post #4 of 40

There is an active thread right now about doing the baby butt cake and it has spurned a discussion about not doing cakes you're not comfortable with or find offensive, etc.

You are in no way obligated to make any cake for anyone. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I wouldn't accept the order for that either--it would make me very uncomfortable.

If it were my friend, I'd just thank her for thinking of me and tell her what a compliment it was that she liked your work, but you're sorry you're just not available to do it.(or however you'd like to word it)

I'm not one who subscribes to the belief that we have to do everything asked of us.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:22am
post #6 of 40

I say Google it, get a few ideas to show her and see what she likes the most.

(I don't think it's fair to make assumptions because someone has a different belief - but sure, if it doesn't make you comfortable then you have every right to politely say, "no thanks.").

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:28am
post #7 of 40

The wheel actually signifies all of the holidays (or turning of the tides, so to speak) celebrated by Wiccans, so that would probably not be appropriate. Samhain is actually ancient Celtic, as in, Scottish Gaul, or Old Irish. It signifies the harvest, or fall. It really has absolutely nothing to do with witchcraft, but to each their own. If you do decide to do the cake, which I hope you would because it could give you a new and potentially long time customer icon_smile.gif, keep in mind that most Wiccans celebrate Samhain very similar to Halloween, All Hallows Eve, or the Day of the Dead (like in Mexico), just without all the costumes and candy.

I am not Wiccan, by the way, but we do have Celtic origin. I do believe that people should become educated about other religions instead of using assumptions. It is all part of tolerance. Happy caking!

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:29am
post #8 of 40

I cant believe that in todays day and age people are still so ignorant in life to be scared of a certain set of beliefs! Just because we arent a world wide recognised religion does not mean we worship the devil, or are anything to be scared of! Part of the Wiccan/Pagan belief is to be open and accepting of others, different or not. If only other religions were like that, we wouldnt have so many problems in this world.

And not all Wiccans/Pagans practice "witchcraft". Making a cake for a group of people to eat on Samhain is no more participating in "witchcraft" than making a halloween cake, or a Chritening cake.

Unbelievable!!!

PS- this is not directed at the OP, as I know she honestly was asking for advice on designs, not other uneducated guesses at what our religion means!

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:31am
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitncupcake

I cant believe that in todays day and age people are still so ignorant in life to be scared of a certain set of beliefs! Just because we arent a world wide recognised religion does not mean we worship the devil, or are anything to be scared of! Part of the Wiccan/Pagan belief is to be open and accepting of others, different or not. If only other religions were like that, we wouldnt have so many problems in this world.

And not all Wiccans/Pagans practice "witchcraft". Making a cake for a group of people to eat on Samhain is no more participating in "witchcraft" than making a halloween cake, or a Chritening cake.

Unbelievable!!!

PS- this is not directed at the OP, as I know she honestly was asking for advice on designs, not other uneducated guesses at what our religion means!

I am actually Pagan Christian. Try explaining that to anyone.. they don't get it.. haha..

kermitncupcake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:35am
post #10 of 40

[quote="Navyempress"

I am actually Pagan Christian. Try explaining that to anyone.. they don't get it.. haha..[/quote]

I know, Im in the same boat!

Rachel5370 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:44am
post #11 of 40

Thankyou, everyone for the input. I just went and searched it too. The holiday has many of the same traditions as Halloween, in fact- Halloween came from Samhain. It has many of the same symbols, pumpkins, gourds, apples, black cats, crows, bats, candles, cauldrons etc... It seems that I could make a cake that has a fall or Halloween theme and it would fit. If she asks me to do a pentagram or anything like that, I will tell her I'm not comfortable with it. I was thinking of a small tiered cake with gumpaste candles that look like they are burning and dripping wax down the cake maybe with a few apples and such mixed in. I think that would be cool! I had no idea my friend was into this until tonite, I don't know what to think. I won't be converting, that's for sure! I am also hoping to have her pick up the cake or that I can deliver it to her directly and not to the party- that would be too much for me. On the other hand- it appears to be no more evil or dark than any other fall holiday traditions. I have thought about what kinds of cakes I will and will not do, I just haven't decided what my policy is yet. I guess this is one those things that makes you think. I do know that I would not hesitate to do a Halloween or Day of the Dead cake if asked- this seems exactly the same in it's symbols and traditions. I just can't be associated with anything overtly wiccan, so that is where I have to draw the line.

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:45am
post #12 of 40

Making a cake for a Wiccan celebration in no different to making a cake for a Buddhist, a Christian . They're all different Religions and ways of life. Btw Satan has absolutely nothing to do with Wiccans or Pagans, it's just hollywood that gives that wrong idea to people.

Doing a search can help you come up with colours and designs. Wiccans use colours and various other symbols for each celebration. For Samhain they are colours of Autumn. Samhain is the turning of the year, a kind of a New Year and nothing to be worried about

have a look at this page for some ideas icon_smile.gif

http://www.starfirescircle.com/samhain.html

Symbols used to represent Samhain: jack-o'-lantern, balefire, besom (which is a broom) masks, cauldron, Waning Moon

Foods appropriate for Samhain: apples, pumpkin pie, beets, turnips, hazelnuts, corn, gingerbread, pomegranates, cider, herbal teas, pork dishes

Plants and herbs associated with Samhain: mugwort, allspice, sage, gourds, catnip, apple trees.

Colors associated with Samhain: black, orange, red, brown, golden yellow, silver, gold

You could do an amazing cake for this... A spice cake with an apple buttercream or filling. Fondant pumpkins, cauldrons and brooms... Have fun with it icon_smile.gif

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:54am
post #13 of 40

You could also look up information about the traditional "soul cakes" made for Samhain. Things like this request often make you learn something about our culture and customs and where they began. I think it would be a fun cake to make just for the history of the holiday and how it had influenced todays holidays. Have fun with it.

Rachel5370 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 6:03am
post #14 of 40

I am certainly not scared of my friend! In 5th grade, we used to mix our food together on our lunch trays and then eat it in order to gross everyone else out! We even made up an imaginary civilization and wrote everything down in a book. Goofy kid stuff! Now she works for the Justice Center, has kids and is a very happy, easy-going person. I don't mean to be close-minded, it's just not something I have encountered in person yet. If I do this cake, it's not something I can tell my pastor about- lol. Even though I am a Christian- I do believe there are many paths to God and that each person has to decide for themselves what their conscience can bear. And yes, the Christian-Pagan thing would be hard to explain! I'm intrigued, but we should probably tread lightly here. I usually never discuss religion or politics on a public forum. I have many people who mean alot to me with many, many different beliefs and opinions. I love them all. I didn't mean to start a debate. tapedshut.gif

motherofgrace Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 6:45am
post #15 of 40

Since religion isnt really supposed to be talked about on here, be sure to write down all the ideas soon!

cant wait to see the finished peice!

Rachel5370 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:05am
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Since religion isnt really supposed to be talked about on here, be sure to write down all the ideas soon!

cant wait to see the finished peice!

LOL, I somehow manage to start controversy unintentionally here. Another thread I started awhile back was locked- still not sure why! I guess people got a little snarky on that thread. I was really looking for ideas, but I think some of my emotion crept into the post by accident. It was just like I said, not a cake request I ever expected to get. I will post the cake, but it will probably be labled as a halloween or fall cake to avoid further controversy. It's for October 31st, so watch for it!

motherofgrace Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:08am
post #17 of 40

oh no i wasnt saying your question was bad!! I jus twant to make sure you got all your bookmarks if it gets deleted!!!!

(its the "witchcraft" comment that I think will do it, Sorry comment poster)

kermitncupcake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:25am
post #18 of 40

Sorry if its my fault you get deleted. I hope you have fun with the cake. And i think it would be fine to post it as what it is. A Samhain cake

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm
post #19 of 40

The OP was only looking for inspiration and ideals for the occasion. I think all this bashing of the subject was not necessary. I read the nervous to be that she was not familiar enough with the holiday and might not meet the expectations for the customer. Let's keep with the question and not elaborate.

Many of you did give good information on the holiday, thank you for that.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 40

Samhain is a time when the veil is considered to thin between the spirit and corporeal worlds.
It's considered a good time to remember those who have gone before. Stories are shared of wisdom passed on, funny stories, etc...

Fall colored Celtic imagery, The Greenman, the phrase 'Blessed Be' are all appropriate.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/ravensilverdove/Raven/samhain-2.jpg
http://www.mythinglinks.org/Samhain%7Egreenman%7Eintenser.gif

edited: Sorry, sweetheart, didn't realize that was the same as on your link.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 40

the image that sweetheart linked is beautiful. I can see a cake with that theme turning great icon_smile.gif or you could use a pentacle

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:36pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

I would turn and walk.. no run.. in the other direction, that's just me. I don't mess around with any kind of witchcraft.

I am with you on this one stay clear!! the things you would see while working on this cake I wouldnt want anything to do with it icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #23 of 40

It is nothing to be frightened about. It is a celebration of the end of summer. It has Celtic origins and is associated with the early pagan religions. It is no more sinister than celebrating Halloween and making a Halloween cake. Just make a cake that celebrates the fall season.

Rachel5370 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 40

Like I said in a previous post, to me this is a friend I had in 5th grade and we were just goofy kids- that's how I think of her. I am just going to do something fall themed and pretty- nothing with any overt symbolism. Because of public perception and people in my life, I can't be associated with this belief system. I'm not even saying that with any judgement towards anyone. If no one is getting hurt- then who cares what other people believe? I know my friend isn't doing any harm to anyone and that she will understand when I tell her I have certain limits to what I will put my name on. Even if I don't take or post pics- she will and with my name on it too! I will do something that doesn't stretch my conscience or make me feel uncomfortable- or offend some of the important people in my life. Everything I read about it sounds exactly like Halloween- they even bob for apples! What would be wrong with a cake with little gumpaste apples, pumpkins, gourds and other fall harvest items- maybe a couple of cute crows perched on the cake? These are all symbols of this holiday. The meaning of the word Samhain is "end of summer". They celebrate the harvest, dress up in costumes, and remember their lost loved ones. What other holiday does that sound like? I'm not promoting any religion, I'm just saying it's possible to make a cake for my friend without any qualms on my part.

7yyrt Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:16pm
post #25 of 40

The problem is, perhaps, that certain 'alternative lifestyles' have taken the holiday and perverted it into some sort of bloody-ghoul-fest-celebration.

Rather like the secular and religious celebrations of many other holidays, they have little in common with one another.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:31pm
post #26 of 40

Wiccan is not witchcraft. I hope all of you that would turn down this cake would also turn down Christmas, Halloween, bah mitzvahs, etc cakes since you would turn this one down, based on the same principles. Op, this is no different from a fall or nature cake.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:01am
post #27 of 40

My suggestion would be to stick with the colors and theme of fall and harvest time. That would be a beautiful cake. And also, get suggestions from your friend. She may not be aware that you are not familiar with Samhain. She would probably be your best bet for suggestions. Please post pics. I would love to see it!

Rachel5370 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:12pm
post #28 of 40

Hi, OP here. For those of you that were interested in seeing the finished product that is the topic of this post- it's the most recent one in my gallery. It was down-scaled from the original request. I went with a Green Man in fall colors. I think it's pretty and had fun doing it. I'm not sure I know how to attach it, but I will try!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1850103.html

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:19pm
post #29 of 40

Rachel, it's very cute! You'll have to let us know how your friend enjoyed it. It sounds DELICIOUS, too!

7yyrt Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 9:26pm
post #30 of 40

Very nice, you did a lovely job... I love the Celtic traditions from that branch of my family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%