Wilton Decorator Icing In A Tube - Good How Long After Open

Decorating By CakesbyCarla Updated 28 Dec 2014 , 6:06pm by DinoCake

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 6

I used the Wilton decorator icing in a tube so I could get real black and red icing. It says NOT to refridgerate the tube after opening. So my question is, how long will it stay good for after it's been opened? It doesn't say. I don't see anything particularly perishable in the ingredients. Any knowledge on this is appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
CakesbyCarla Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 6

I called Wilton CS today. They said that it expires two years after it is made (regardless of when the tube is opened). So I gave her a number off of the tube and she could tell me the date it was created (happened to be April of this year). So my tube will expire in April 2012. I won't keep it 'til then of course, but it's nice to know I'm no where near the expiration date. LOL. Just FYI in case any of you ever need to know...

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 6

I really appreciate you posting this. I have a few tubes and I can never find an expiration date. I'm kind of surprised they're not legally required to put the expiration date on the tube but to each his own. I think I'll go with a couple of months after opening then in the trash they go. You never know how long they sit on the shelf at michael'sicon_smile.gif But its good to know they last that long...or is it....what exactly is in there that sits fine for 2 yrs...icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

CakesbyCarla Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

Yes - that'll be me too. I'll keep them a few months then toss. They're so cheap I don't mind. The lady said that it won't make you ill or anything if it's consumed after the expiration date but it won't taste as fresh.

I think it must basically be oil/shortening with sugar and coloring and tons of preservatives LOL.

Tagood7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tagood7 Posted 14 Dec 2012 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

Just got off the phone with Wilton about their decorating icing tubes expiration dates. So I found out that the code at the top on the back is the date. The first two number is the year it was made and the last numbers are the day of the year and they expire 2 years after the made date open or not. Example: 11027, this was made in 2011 on Jan 27 so it would expire on Jan 27, 2013. Hope this was helpful :)

DinoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinoCake Posted 28 Dec 2014 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 6

I just wanted to thank you all! I was just about to call Wilton and figured I would google first…So glad I did because it led me to this forum which will definitely eat up a ton of my time as I search for ideas of for my next cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%