Ack! Cake Moguls Lol

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 12:38pm by cakeythings1961

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 6

so, yesterday I attended a wedding with a friend of mine. (she needed a date icon_lol.gif ) Of course I was dying to see the wedding cake and critique it in their glory to come report to you guys icon_twisted.gif it was sort of plain icon_rolleyes.gif just a plain white cake with her brightly blue colored ribbon and a magnolia type flower. Buuuut...there were these HORRENDOUS sheet cakes actually displayed on the tables next to the wedding cake! icon_cry.gif It was a nice thought I guess...they did double layer sheet cakes (assuming the wedding cake was fake because they had 5 of them for a 300 guest wedding) and they had edible photo images of the bride and groom on top of them. Unfortunately someone did a horrible job of using an airbrush/color mist on them. not sure if someone made these for them but they totally looked like an after thought and the photo images were so dark icon_sad.gif I kinda of felt bad for the poorly made cakes on display.

To top it off....someone used STORE BOUGHT CHOCOLATE FROSTING in the middle of the marble cake icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I was all ready to taste some fudgey type filling and when I put a touch of it in my mouth all i could taste were the chemicals icon_sad.gif I was really sad and I had to spit it out. I wasn't expecting it because the chocolate cake had some really nice mousse in the middle of it. ANNND they did confetti cake.

is it just me or are the trends to save money looking tacky??? icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

5 replies
KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 6

I always wonder about sheet cakes and real wedding cake. Who gets the nice wedding cake, and who gets assigned to the plodgy little sheetcakes? Is there another list out there when it comes to cake cutting? Tables 1 thru 10 get real cake, and the other tables can have sheetcake. Unless they brought a large heavy present, then they get nice cake too. I've never understood that.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

definitely tacky
LOL @KimmyKakes, that's so true! funny observation

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:55am
post #4 of 6

Yep. The tackiness factor is getting out of hand. It's the "advice" columns.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 6

I agree...I sometimes wonder what the credentials of the expert advisers are :-/

I wanted to write something succinct on my website about NOT having some crappy cheap sheet cakes to serve after the proper wedding cake is gone as its being tacky...but my husband wouldn't let me, haha. He said I was being too negative. Maybe he's right, but its tempting to sometimes 'tell it like it is'!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 6

I try to be charitable about less-than-amazing cakes....remember that when you're a cake artist or highly proficient in baking and pastry skills (and I don't put myself in either category!,) anything that doesn't meet your high standards is going seem tacky. And I've tasted many a cake that looked beautiful but tasted lackluster, and I know I got the "real" cake because they cut it in the dining room, not the kitchen.

Some people don't value cake and would rather put their scarce wedding dollars toward a great dj or an open bar or even a lovely venue. Isn't that up to them? I'm just happy to be part of the celebration. Then I make a mental note to bring them some awesome espresso cupcakes with caramel filling and cinnamon cream cheese icing when they get back from the honeymoon. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%