Cheesecake Covered In Frosting????????????

Decorating By KayMc Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 12:38pm by KayMc

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #1 of 28

I was watching 'Amazing Wedding Cakes', and they're covering a cheesecake in buttercream. Now, I am a huge fan of good quality cheesecake. I have a to-die-for cheesecake recipe that I've made for years. I cannot imagine ruining that wonderful cheesecake taste with frosting of any sort. That is so nasty! Has anyone eaten this, or seen it? YUKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 replies
SnugglePie Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #2 of 28

I am watching that as well. But I assumed she was just putting a layer of icing on it since she is planning on covering the cheesecake with fondant! Will fondant stay put on just cheesecake?!? Either way... fondant covered cheesecake sounds interesting. icon_confused.gif

pieceacake830 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 28

Uhmmmmmmm.........

Ewwwwwww?!?!?!?!?
Why ruin a perfectly good cheesecake... Its kinda like mixing two similar flavors that just don't go together.... like oranges and chocolate.. both sweet, but you dont want to eat them together! Now I know I'm going to get responses saying that there are those chocolate oranges that you can buy.... yuck! cant mix 2 kinds of sweet... It's just wrong! LOL

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 28

They're putting buttercream on the cheesecake, and then fondant. I think it sounds dreadful. I admit to being a purist, but a good quality cheesecake needs NOTHING else.

SugarMoon Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 28

I've seen this. I was researching how to fancify cheesecakes for a wedding and this is pretty common. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would taste like and agree it sounds pretty gross. I came up with idea to surround the cake with a chocolate transfer, possibly do a circle on top too, or arrange irregularly broken chocolate with chocolate transfer designs on it. It would be nice and compliment the cheesecake. Unfortunately, I didn't have time. But yeah, can't imagine buttercream on cheesecake. Seems weird to me.

Elcee Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 28

I'm with you. What a way to ruin a good cheesecake.

Karen421 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 28

Yup! I too have a great Cheesecake recipe and had to make 2 grooms cakes out of them. Then I had to cover them with a cream cheese buttercream, and a fondant "G" for Greenbay Packers. It looked good, but at the reception, I only ate the cheesecake and not the frosting.

caymancake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #8 of 28

One of my friends covered one of her cheesecakes in fondant...it was a NY style cheesecake. She torted it, filled it with strawberries and whipped cream and covered it with a thin layer of fondant. It worked for her...

tesso Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:38am
post #9 of 28

I couldnt careless what they are putting on that cake... the important thing here is... you have a cheesecake recipe that is wonderful....and you would SO like to share it with me.. right?? (insert puppy dog eyes here...and pretty pleazzzzeees here... a few eye batting of the puppy eyes here... a whimper here... another pretty pppppllllllllleeeeeeaaaaasssee here. icon_lol.gif

back to the buttercream and fondant cheesecake thing.. EEEEWWWEEEEE... gaggg..gaggg.. tiny throw up in mouth.. gaggg.. gaggg..

Stephy42088 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #10 of 28

In a catalog I seen a cheesecake covered in white chocolate and decorated like a gift, it was super cute. I think it was modeling chocolate that it was covered in. It was an 8in square cheesecake and it was $105 available for shipping. They had cupcakes and all kinds of goodies available for shipping too.

sechrestloans Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 28

The puppy cake in my photos are two cheesecakes layered and stacked. I covered them in White Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting and it tasted great!. The frosting wasnt sweet and it actually complimented the cheesecake flavor. I was worried because the cheesecake is so good, I didnt want to ruin it, but it worked. I have heard of covering them in modeling chocolate, but havent tried it as of yet.

sweettreat101 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:08am
post #12 of 28

I have heard of it being done and hope to someday give it a try. This is the recipe that Kathyf uses to cover her cheesecakes and from what I've seen everything she makes is really good. 1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

If you use clear vanilla in both the color will be a perfect match for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-comicon_surprised.gifffice:smarttags" />Wilton's buttercream recipe. I use this to frost cheesecakes
when a couple wants part regular cake and part cheesecake for the tiers.

This makes a fairly stiff icing. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar.

Karen421 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #13 of 28

That is the recipe I used. It was very good, it crusted and wasn't to bad to do. You just have to keep the cheesecake cold.

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 28

Tesso, I'll try to post this recipe today. My sister and I have been making it for years, and it is HANDS DOWN, the best I've ever had anywhere.

tesso Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 28

YEAH!!! thanks Kaymc

huskerfan Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 28

I have covered anniversary cheesecakes with a frosting made from butter, cream cheese, and candy melts. Its actually pretty good. Its a recipe from Wilton.

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 28

Tesso, I sent the recipe via PM to you. I tried to post it, but it must be longer than allowed, as I couldn't view the lines at the bottom while I was typing.

tesso Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Tesso, I sent the recipe via PM to you. I tried to post it, but it must be longer than allowed, as I couldn't view the lines at the bottom while I was typing.

THANK YOU !! I got it !!

what_a_cake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 28

KatyMc icon_redface.gif please, plesse can I have the recipe too ?

Thanks in advance thumbs_up.gif

kayjess Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 28

If you wouldn't mind to PM me the recipe also, I would really appreciate it!!
Thanks!!!!!!!!

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #21 of 28

Crust: 1/8 LB melted butter
1/4 C sugar
1.5 c graham cracker crumbs. Mix and pat into springform pan.
Mixing bowl:
24 oz Philly cream cheese (3 packages)
1 C sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp good quality vanilla
Cream cheese & sugar. Add eggs, 1 @ at time, mixing well after each addition. After eggs are all added, beat 10 minutes @ med speed. Add vanilla. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 min. Turn off oven, open door, and let cake cool in oven for 30 min. Then, remove cake from oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In bowl, mix:
1 pint sour cream, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla. Mix and spread over cake. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes. Cool to room temp, then put in fridge for 24 hrs before eating. Do not eat this on same day it's made. It must be in fridge for 24 hrs before eating. Flavors need to develop and meld.

luntus Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #22 of 28

thanks KayMc.

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 28

You're welcome. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do. It's classic, with no frills: just pure, deliscious creamy cheesecake. Yum.... I want a piece now!

what_a_cake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:44pm
post #24 of 28

KayMc, thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:59pm
post #25 of 28

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

CandyLady Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:47am
post #26 of 28

I did a wedding using cheesecakes on sattelite stands and frosted in buttercream...they were delicious and everyone loved them...kind of a surprise to cut into cake and get cheesecake.

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:13pm
post #27 of 28

I've seen cheesecakes covered in chocolate, at Neiman Marcus. Don't mind the prices!

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/templates/P6.jhtml?itemId=cat16131009&parentId=cat16131006&masterId=cat16130978&cmCat=

They're all cheesecakes.

KayMc Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:38pm
post #28 of 28

I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to cheesecake. If it's a GOOD quality cheesecake, that's the flavor I want. I'd think any addition would detract from that flavor. But I know not everyone thinks that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%