Please Topper

Decorating By walterak Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm by walterak

walterak Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 11

I am making a 10" square and 6" square stacked wedding cake this weekend and the topper the bride gave me is SUPER HEAVY. Its not going to sit there on its own. I have permission to do what I need to it to make it sit...I just don't know what to do. I thought about hotgluing a dowel onto it and sticking it through the cake...just concerned it will be too heavy for even that...and tear through the cake.

I thought about poking a hole into the cardboard and making the dowel go through both cakes, but I wanted to use a plastic wilton plate that the hidden pillars attach to, for extra stability as this is my first wedding cake.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help! It would REALLY REALLY be appreciated.

10 replies
SugarMoon Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 11

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, the plastic legs from the top tier rest on the plate of the bottom tier. I'm wondering if you could treat the topper like another cake tier and have a plate and legs to support it as well. If it's really tall and narrow, this wouldn't work of course.

walterak Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 11

Yeah, it is tall and that wouldnt work. Its a traditional wedding topper...the couple are embracing in a dance, and its HEAVY!!!

The plates have little feet that stick into the dowels in the bottom cake. Maybe DH can cut a hole in the plate for me.

tokazodo Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 11

Why not use cardboard in between like Edna De La Cruz

Then, you could hammer 2 dowels down through the cake and hot glue your piece to that. I think I would hammer the dowels down, try to pull them back up, and then glue the piece to them and replace them in the cake. (I've stacked the cakes and doweled them many times, but I've not tried to pull the dowel up once it was set. I would try to rotate the dowel in the cake to loosen it before I removed it.

Or, dowel the cake, then just add the smaller dowels perhaps 3 for stability, but only put it through the top layer of the cake and rest it on the top layer's board.

Or, how about putting flowers as a topper, and putting the topper on a mirror next to the cake, or on the bottom cake board next to the cake?

Hope this helps...

tokazodo Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:24am
post #5 of 11
Originally Posted by walterak

Yeah, it is tall and that wouldnt work. Its a traditional wedding topper...the couple are embracing in a dance, and its HEAVY!!!

The plates have little feet that stick into the dowels in the bottom cake. Maybe DH can cut a hole in the plate for me.

Is it the willow tree couple?

tokazodo Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:29am
post #6 of 11

This cake says that Indydebi (patron saint of cake baking) helped to secure the topper.

Perhaps you can PM Indydebi and she can help you with it, or the maker of the cake above.

walterak Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 11

They want the topper on the cake. I was going to just use cardboard, but I need the cake to be more stable because I am delivering it to the park where they want pics done...then they are taking it to the venue...I AM MAKING THEM SIGN THAT THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT!

It isn't the willow tree one, but looks similar, and there is no base to it at all.

How do you sharpen a wooden dowel to get it through the cakes? And where do you get those wooden dowels?

jolmk Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 11

To sharpen a dowel I use a new pencil sharpener (I have one that I use just for this). You can buy wooden dowels at walmart and michaels in the cake decorating aisle.

walterak Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 11 my DH went today to my local Cake Supply store to drop off the pans I rented to make the cake. He showed her the topper and she said to put a piece of cardboard on top of the cake, UNDER the fondant and it would sit on it. Anyone ever do this??? It sounds insane to me. And, what if it didn't work? Now you either have this cardboard sitting under the fondant OR you have to redo your cake. HELP. DH suggested buying a small mirror to go on top of the cake to have it sit on. The couple just wants it ON the cake...not next to it. AHHH...FIRST WEDDING CAKES!!!

KJ62798 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 11

I don't think I would put the cardboard under the fondant. I like the idea of the mirror

If you don't want the support to show, trace the outline of the base onto a piece of corrogated plastic (looks like cardboard but is made of plastic, available at hobby stores) Cut the plastic w/exacto knife--it cuts easily and you can shave it down so that the edge doesn't show past the bottom of the topper.

No matter which base/support you use, I would "glue" it in place with something. Museum putty or double stick tape or maybe that removable Command adhesive tape or Royal Icing. Put dowels under the base just like you would a new cake tier.

Good luck. I put a TALL topper on a wedding cake but it wasn't heavy so all I did was frost it into place and it was fine.

walterak Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 11 other thought was to glue a dowel to it and stick it through both cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%