Mmf Newbie - Questions!!!

Decorating By DebinD Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm by DebinD

DebinD Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 2

I am making two cakes for my kids birthdays next weekend. I came on here and got advice on freezing the cakes, so the cakes are in my freezer right now -YAY! Today I made the fondant. I had a recipe that called for 16oz bag of mini marshmallows -well I bought the smaller bag apparently, so I adjusted quantities and pressed on. The second batch I made using 16oz of regular marshmallows and the third batch I made using the smaller bag.

So my question...

I am making 2 9" round 2-layer cakes.
I made 1 batch of pink MMF using a 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows
I made 1 batch of yellow MMF using a 16 oz bag of reg marshmallows
I made 1 batch of white MMF using a 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows

Is that enough? The pink and yellow will be the "base" layer. I can use some of those leftovers as dark pink and green decorations and I have the white batch for the rest of the decor.
Is that enough MMF for what I'm doing? I'm not planning any sculptures on top or anything.

AND my second question -the MMF all happened so fast - so I think I didn't quite add enough sugar when I was making it. It was sort of a conscious decision in the back of my mind as I wanted to keep it a bit on the moist side as I was refrigerating it for a week -but again it all happened so fast. I coated it in crisco and wrapped it in saran wrap, stick it in a ziploc bag and then put it in a storage container. At the time I was thinking I would add a bit more sugar next week Sat when I begin to work it -but now I'm having second thoughts about that. I mean I don't really know exactly what consistency I need, so I was thinking I'd figure it out when I'm a bit closer. Bad move? Advice? Thoughts?

And Lastly - Once my cake is decorated -how best do I store it?

1 reply
DebinD Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 2

Well I answered my first question myself -I made another batch of white. But I'd still love some input on my second question!

I just saw this video and mine was sooo much more fluid than that! zoiks! is it too late to fix?

Quote by @%username% on %date%