Fake Fake Cake Dummies - What Can I Make Them With.

Decorating By strathmore Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm by leily

strathmore Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 10

I am entering a local show soon and it will cost me an arm and a leg to buy foam dummies so I was wondering what I could use to make a fake dummy. I want to get foam ones sometime but cant just at the moment. Would home made rice krispys work ?? It needs to be something quite stable as I want to be able to decorate the cake over a couple off weeks.

9 replies
Becky1679 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 10

I just bought a 6/8/10 from GSA and didn't think it was too pricey...

leily Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 10

RKT would definitely work. OTherwise i have also heard of people using that expandable foam (i think the big name brand is "great stuff") it's used to seal holes in like basement walls and stuff.

ALR1955 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 10

I ordered mine through this site:
www.TheFoamStudio.com

Prices were great and they shipped quickly.

kimbm04r Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 10

I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 2" thick styrofoam insulation from Menard's for around $20.00 and my husband cuts it to the size I need and then glue or tape them together to make them 4" thick. You can get several "cakes" from each sheet. My husband has even hollowed them out and filled them with sand and sealed them with tape before putting together to give them the actual feel of a real cake. Check out the post linked, I have a picture of an acual cake and then a fake cake that matches the real one (joke for my daughter) It works really great.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687748&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

strathmore Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I am in New Zealand so I don't have the same brand name products or shops here. I did try a can of expanding foam that is waterbased and I have put it in an old tin waiting for it to dry but I think its going to be too squishy. Next I will try non water based. Yes I have seen the global sugar art site but I need to order a few things to make it worthwhile icon_biggrin.gif till then I have to make something myself. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. EDIT: I just looked at that site again and no international orders for these taken. Certainly is cheaper than here.

Elcee Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 10

When I made my baseball glove cake for the county fair I baked the glove part (pound cake), carved it, then coated it with several coats of slightly watered down craft glue!

It worked out great! I worked on it for a week or so prior to submitting it, it was on display for 10 days, when I picked it up it looked just as good as when I dropped it off and I kept it on display at home for another 2 weeks or so.

I also purchased a sheet of styrofoam insulation at Lowe's for about $15 that my dh has been cutting for me. I wouldn't attempt circles but he is very meticulous and has mde me 2 perfect squares and a rectangle.

All of that being said, I have an awesome cake supply store about an hour from me and I bought a set of 4' tall dummies (6,8,10,12) for less than $30 and no shipping charges.

strathmore Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks - I do have a recipie that is dairy and egg free and it is quite dense so I might make a couple and stick em together.

KCC Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 10

I needed to make an car shaped dummy and used paper mache. Cheap and worked well. I have also used gift boxes/hat boxes from the dollar store.

leily Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 10

I was reading another topic and someone mentioned that they used cardboard boxes too. Just another option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%