Bulldog Cakes

Decorating By mssyl5 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 12:58pm by mssyl5

mssyl5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mssyl5 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

Ive got a request for a bulldog cake for a grooms cake. I dont know where to start. How many layers should it be? Can the head be carve cake instead of rkt? How do you get it to stand up position. What should the legs be? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #2 of 10

You might try to search and see who has made one and PM them. I bet they would be happy to help you. I know weirkd has made one, she is really nice (as are most on cc!) and that is where I would start. Good Luck!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

There is a great YouTube video by Pink Cake Box that may help you - check out

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 10

When I made mine, I made the head out of RC and modeling chocolate. The modelling chocolate makes it easier to make the bulges and rinkles. Depending on whether you want it laying or sitting is up to you. I did mine laying and the legs were separate pieces of cake that were attached using buttercream. If your going to attach a head you will need the dowel attached to the board since it will be so heavy. If you do it with the head laying inbetween the legs then ofcourse it would be much easier. The other thing I did is I made my eyes out of isomalt. I started with brown balls of isomalt and then put them into a mold I made using a marble. I poured a second batch of isomalt in clear and is sort of melts the brown isomalt giving a really cool look. I also dipped my tongue in it and let it drip so that it gave the effect of salivia dripping off his tongue. Use a "collar" to cover up the neck area where it attaches to the body. Isomalt on his nails makes them shiny so that looks cool too!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 10

I did one recently in a class. It's in my photos. But we used 3 11x15 layers with buttercream and carved the whole thing with cake, no RKT. We did it with head between the front paws. You've got some great suggestions here. I'm sure you'll be fine.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 10

Hi , I did mine with a sheet cake cut in 1/3s and my husband built my stand for me . I made my head with rkt and mmf the head sat on a piece of wood that was screwed to the stand and i had a dowel rod in the head that went into the cake for stability icon_smile.gif my photo is in my pics .

mssyl5 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #7 of 10

thank you everybody for the great tips Im going to do the practice cake tomorrow...wish me luck....Im going to need it icon_smile.gif

mssyl5 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #8 of 10

thank you everybody for the great tips Im going to do the practice cake tomorrow...wish me luck....Im going to need it icon_smile.gif

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:53am
post #9 of 10

I took a class recently and have some step by step pics. I can email them to u later today. Just let me know.

mssyl5 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarchic

I took a class recently and have some step by step pics. I can email them to u later today. Just let me know.

Yes could you plz send them to me....Thank you really really appreciate it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%