They Paid Me Twice Of What I Asked For!

Decorating By angelcake4u Updated 3 Sep 2005 , 3:05am by cybourg

angelcake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcake4u Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 6

First of all I want to thank Lisa again, for e-mailing a copy of the insert for this cake.

I needed the pan and insert for today, so I could fulfill a customer's request. I could have done a BCT, but was very worried about trying that. Anyway, I won the Donald Duck Pan off ebay on Monday night, got in the mail on Thursday, and made the cake today,(Friday).

When the customer called and odered it, he asked how much I would charge. So I asked him how many he needed it to feed. He said 10. So I told him $20.

When I delivered it, they were so pleased that I went through the trouble of finding the pan and delivering it to their house that they paid me $40.
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! icon_biggrin.gif

He also asked for some extra cards, so he could tell other people about me!

I cannot beleive how busy I have gotten just by asking if I could put some cards and a notebook of pics at our local party store.

Just had to share!
Thanks for reading.
Angela

5 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

Awesome! That's a great idea...abouth the party store.....thanks for sharing!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 1:48am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcake4u

First of all I want to thank Lisa again, for e-mailing a copy of the insert for this cake.

I needed the pan and insert for today, so I could fulfill a customer's request. I could have done a BCT, but was very worried about trying that. Anyway, I won the Donald Duck Pan off ebay on Monday night, got in the mail on Thursday, and made the cake today,(Friday).

When the customer called and odered it, he asked how much I would charge. So I asked him how many he needed it to feed. He said 10. So I told him $20.

When I delivered it, they were so pleased that I went through the trouble of finding the pan and delivering it to their house that they paid me $40.
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! icon_biggrin.gif

He also asked for some extra cards, so he could tell other people about me!

I cannot beleive how busy I have gotten just by asking if I could put some cards and a notebook of pics at our local party store.

Just had to share!
Thanks for reading.
Angela

That is wonderful, good for you!
Can I make a suggestion? Don't know where you live and if that is a factor, but most of us charge at least $30-$40 for these character cakes. A regular sheet cake is $25 in most places, just a 9x13. A character cake I usually estimate at 12-15 servings, some folks say 15-20. Anyway, not sure how experienced you are with pricing, but you don't go by how many servings they want, you go by the type of cake they order.
Not being critical here, most of us underprice ourselves. You need to charge enough to cover your costs and your hydro and the wear and tear on your pans, along with allowing yourself a bit of money ahead to purchase equipment as you go along.
Anything made from a pan you can no longer buy at the store, is custom and it is worth more.
Just thought I would add this to make sure you charge enough for your services!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 1:51am
post #4 of 6

Good for you Angela. They must've known you deserved it!!!

Daniela

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 2:55am
post #5 of 6

Congrats Angela on your first order.

As Squirrelly said, you really under-priced yourself. I was the same way until everyone here helped me with the pricing.

For character cakes I charge $35 and up depending on how detailed it is. For the sheet cake it is $45.00 and up.

Don't worry, the pricing will get easier as you go along.

Once again, congratulations.

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 3:05am
post #6 of 6

Congratulations on your "tip". That is a great idea about the party store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%