Does The Cake Bake Yellow?

Baking By KayMc Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm by bakencake

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have Sylvia Weinstock's new classic yellow cake recipe in the oven baking. The batter was very, very pale - basically ivory in color. Does it bake up to more of a yellow? Since the word yellow is in the cake's name, I was surprised at how light the batter was. And man, was this batter deliscious!!!

6 replies
lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7

i have never seen a scratch cake turn out as "yellow" as a mix cake, without adding some type of coloring, yellowm usually referes to the fact that it has whole eggs as opposed to whites only

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

ohhh! you made the batter sound delicious, can you share recipe?

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 7

2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) sweet butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and line two 8 x 3-inch baking pans or one 12 x 3-inch pan with parchment.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light.

Add the egg yolks, one at a time, being sure each is well incorporated before adding the next one. Add the vanilla.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for 1 minute.

In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven, 60 minutes for the 12-inch square pan or 45 to 50 minutes for the 8-inch pan. The top of the cake should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a skewer or a toothpick; the tester should come out dry and clean.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 7

this is one of my favorite cakes

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 7

Lilthorner, what temp do you bake this cake at? It was the first time using this recipe, and it was awful! I always bake my cakes @ 325, but Sylvia said to bake at 350 so I did. I didnt keep my eye on it, as I was busy with other chores, so I set the timer for less time than suggested. Even so, the cake had overbaked: pulled away significantly from the pan sides. Also, it hardly raised up at all. Now, I did substitute buttermilk for regular milk (her new version of the recipe calls for milk), so I don't know if buttermilk affects the levening. I really wanted this to be a great cake for me, and it just didn't turn out. I will try it again, but at a lower temp. Please tell me what temp you use, and for how long.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you!! I will! I'll first try with the lower temp and let you know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%