Making Gumpaste Shiny Or Glossy????

Decorating By alicosani Updated 16 Feb 2014 , 9:44am by jacky-m

alicosani Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 11

I am doing a mosaic cake with a Mexican like mosaic design and I was wondering how do I make the tiles shiny or glossy? I was thinking about using piping gel, but I am not sure if that will work since it will leave it too sticky! Anyone have any ideas??? icon_sad.gif

10 replies
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 11

THere are 2 methods...1) spray oil...brush it on lightly. 2) steam it lightly...use a clothing steamer...just becareful not to get too close..do't want to melt the fondant.

Rusti Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 11

You can also use confectioner's glaze or a homemade glaze that is 50% vodka and 50% corn syrup. Good Luck.
I always want to point out that anytime I have used steam to make things shiny that it only works for a day or two. If you are working ahead with your gum paste and steam it it won't stay shiny, steam the day you present the cake.

lizzycakes Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 11

Lol, I'm glad you posted the ratio of vodka:corn syrup. I made a cake the other day and remembered reading that those should be mixed. So i threw some in a cup and my bow came out real shiny.. then I tried again and it didn't work as well. Now I know the right ratio. thanks .Oh and it wasn't sticky after it dried.

Alicosani, I used the corn syrup/vodka mix on the bow in my pink "2" cake in my photos if that's the kind of shine you're looking for (that cake was a day old when the pic was taken and it stayed real shiny)

The Barbie cosmetic bag I think I just did the steam (with my iron) it came out somewhat shiny, but not as much, I don't know how long it lasted, cause the cake did last long lol

lizzycakes Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 11

Hmm well you cant really see how shiny the bow in the pic was, except if you look at the middle light purple loop where you can see a reflection. haha but take my word for it, it was shiny, my camera just sucks

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 11

When I use gumpaste, I let it dry completely and then paint it with a wash of food color and vodka. Just use a little color if you don't want to darken it.

You can see how shiny the gumpaste is in this picture.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1504579.html

pinkjacs Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 11

can I ask what about the taste or presence of vodka on cakes esp for kids how does that work??

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacs

can I ask what about the taste or presence of vodka on cakes esp for kids how does that work??

The vodka evaporates. That's why people use it, because it's cheaper than using clear extracts and doesn't leave any taste behind. When it dries, the alcohol is completely gone.

alicosani Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 11

thank you guys!!! I had read somewhere about the corn syrup and vodka but was not sure!!!

pinkjacs Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacs

The vodka evaporates. That's why people use it, because it's cheaper than using clear extracts and doesn't leave any taste behind. When it dries, the alcohol is completely gone.

thank you very much!! icon_biggrin.gif

jacky-m Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 9:44am
post #11 of 11

Hi, I used the 50% mix of corn syrup and 50% vodka but 3 days on, leaves are still sticky.  Can anyone please tell me how to stop them being so?  I thought perhaps another layer of pure vodka?  Help !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%