Can You Leave Smb At Room Temp Over Night?

Decorating By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 3:12am by SandiOh

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 15

Hey all!
I was wondering if you can leave SMB @ room temp over night? or do you have to put in fridge? Does SMB crust?
I've made lots of time, but always same day right before type of thing.
The variation that I will do is add lemon curd & zest to the buttercream.. but no other fillings.

Thanks!

14 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 15

SMBC needs to be refrigerated. some say no, but think about it...it's barely if at all cooked egg whites. I don't leave anything with lemon curd out either.

SMBC does not crust.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

SMBC needs to be refrigerated. some say no, but think about it...it's barely if at all cooked egg whites. I don't leave anything with lemon curd out either.

SMBC does not crust.

Thanks!! So when I put in fridge at night.. and I take out in the AM will buttercream be really hard? I keep assuming yes becuase of the butter.. but maybe I wrong? How long should I take out of fridge before serving?(I guess just asking how long can it sit a room temp before serving.. and be food safe!)

SandiOh Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 15

yes, it gets hard, just like american buttercream. I usually take it out an hour or two prior to serving, depending on how warm the room is.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

yes, it gets hard, just like american buttercream. I usually take it out an hour or two prior to serving, depending on how warm the room is.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 15

I only use SMBC and I never leave it out overnight. You can leave it out for several hours the day it is being served (I have left it out for 5 hours or so with no problem).

There are always debates on this issue - I've read lots of posts where people claim that SMBC doesn't need refrigeration, but I think it does. It does get hard as a rock in the fridge though, so it needs at least a couple of hours to come to room temp before serving (otherwise the texture will resemble refrigerated butter - I learned this the hard way (read: embarrassing)).

HTH!

tsal Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 15

Forgot to mention that I use pasteurized egg whites which apparently contributes to it being able to sit out. I'm too paranoid about food safety to use non-pasteurized egg whites (I'm a bit of a nut about that).

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

I only use SMBC and I never leave it out overnight. You can leave it out for several hours the day it is being served (I have left it out for 5 hours or so with no problem).

There are always debates on this issue - I've read lots of posts where people claim that SMBC doesn't need refrigeration, but I think it does. It does get hard as a rock in the fridge though, so it needs at least a couple of hours to come to room temp before serving (otherwise the texture will resemble refrigerated butter - I learned this the hard way (read: embarrassing)).

HTH!

LOL that is exactly why I was asking. the cake is being sent in with dh to work tomorrow.. and did not want them to eat a big cake of hard butter icon_lol.gif
Thanks again! I will probably take out right before dh leaves for work.. then just have him leave out till they eat it at noon. (that would be 4.5 hours)

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 15

I make it earlier in the day, then I have frozen it. But at night, when I leave it out, I need at least 5 hours for it to defrost. Ready by 6am to be used.

When we used just the refrigerator once for a birthday cake, it needed more than 2 hours to get to room temperature. Needless to say, we (grandmother in charge of if, and me) had to make some other fresh frosting, 'cause we couldn't use it.

TickleMySweetTooth Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 15

humm sounding more complicated then I think it should be.
I was always under the impression, cooking the egg whites pasteurizes them? I do keep on heat @ 140ish for a few min's so always figured that I was pasteurizing my eggs.
I'm just going to put in fridge at night then take out in the am. then tell dh to let co-workers to let cake sit out 2-3 hours before cutting and eating.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 15

I used pasteurized egg whites already. Yes, there's a lot of debate on the subject.

I have DVDs from the CIA and they say that eggs don't get pasteurized at a temperature lower than 160˚F. You have to go past that for them to be safe.

I think you have a better plan if you cover the cake with the fresh buttercream and then can put the whole thing in the refrigerator and take it out in the morning.

The problem with putting it in the refrigerator and it not thawing on time will be that it will get hard and if you try to beat it to make it soft, it will separate... water will start leaking! If you have space for the decorated cake in your refrigerator, that's the best plan.

tsal Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

The problem with putting it in the refrigerator and it not thawing on time will be that it will get hard and if you try to beat it to make it soft, it will separate... water will start leaking! If you have space for the decorated cake in your refrigerator, that's the best plan.

I totally agree and that's what I do every time, and it sometimes does take longer than 2 hours to come to room temperature. You'll be fine for sure after 4.5 hours!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:55pm
post #14 of 15

You can leave SMBC out for up to 3 days.

SandiOh Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:12am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

You can leave SMBC out for up to 3 days.

You could. But I wouldn't eat it or serve it to anyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%