Using The Smaller Cricut Machines Vs. Cricut Cake

Decorating By dpdavis Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 3:42am by dpdavis

dpdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpdavis Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 4

Can you cut fondant/gumpaste with the smaller (less expensive) cricut machines or is there something special about the Cricut cake? I would love to have the big one but can't afford it right now. I have looked for this topic on the boards but not found it. Is there something special about the cricut cake blades or mats that would make it not possible on the smaller ones? Is it a foodsafe issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 4

The only difference is that the cricut cake is food safe. The blades are the same. The mats for the cake are the same minus the sticky. Hope this helps.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

The major differences are that the smaller cricuts have a smaller printing area and you will need to modify the feeder rod. There are two rubber grommet things that aid in feeding the project mat and for fondant uses you will need to cut those off or you'll have lines in the fondant. You'll also need a deep cut blade (blue housing). Additionally, In order to make the machine food safe, you'll have to keep it a dedicated to food machine and observe food safe protocols. I have a small personal model that I modified and that is all I need for my purposes (hobby only). If I was selling to the public I would probably go for the Cake model only because it is alleged to be food safe and there are legal health related issues involved. I don't believe it is an issue if you are not selling cake.

dpdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpdavis Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help. I have looked all over the web and here for this info and couldn't find it. I appreciate the help. I found an Expressions Cricut on Craig's List with 4 cartridges for $90. Maybe I'll get that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%