There Just Isnt Any Help For Me Anymore.

Decorating By tesso Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm by tesso

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 28

Went shopping with sister and niece yesterday. Went to Sally Beauty supply to pick up new straightener...did I get a straightner...NO.. because I went into a bright eyed cake haze!!

Oh yah.. I saw the perfect bottle that I was looking for with angled long nozzles that were just perfect for flo-icing. had to have them.

Then OOHHH...look..these bottles will work for piping gel. And this one will work for string work...

Then the combs.. Oh look at the funky wave design of this come. it will make an incredible impression on fondant...and if I turn it this way it will look great on BC!! Ohh look this one will work to make swirls... etc..etc..

Spent 40 bucks on CAKE SUPPLIES at the friggin BEAUTY STORE!! and never got my straightner!!

27 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 28

So funny and so very true. I love to go to Lowes or Home Depot for cake supplies.

Momma_D Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momma_D Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 28

Welcome the the wonderful world of cake decorating! From now on, you will see EVERYTHING in terms of cake and what you can do with it!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 28

Lol! Love it! My three kiddos draw pictures of me and my cakes ... You know there's something pathological going on when your family "portraits" involve cakes.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 28

Next you'll be telling us you found inspiration in lawn furniture - I once did.

LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 28

Put the staightener on your christmas list and give the list to your ever so kind family thumbs_up.gif -

Thats if you can wait that long - hmmmm, something tells me no.

Bluehue

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 28

I know! Seems like with everything I see I say, "Huh, that'd be a good design on a cake." My family just chuckles.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Lol! Love it! My three kiddos draw pictures of me and my cakes ... You know there's something pathological going on when your family "portraits" involve cakes.

My daughter did a "sensory" poem in class. Apparently, mama smells like vanilla frosting.

Kristy

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 28

Aha!! And here I thought I was the only one!!! Glad to hear it's catching!! icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 28

Oh ya, Sally is right up there with Lowe's and the liquor store for cake supplies!

I use the processing caps (like shower caps) to cover bowls with. You get 30 for the price of 5 name brand bowl covers!

I love empty squeeze bottles. I don't use them for colorflow, tho. I use them to blow crumbs off or glitter on.

Then, the tiny spray bottles! Oh I just love them filled with water for spritzing a cake, or filled with flavoring to spritz into my cake ball mixture!

Plus, the various textures of nail files and emery boards for smoothing ragged gumpaste edges or poured sugar pieces.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 28

icon_lol.gif F.Y.I. Hair straighteners are great tools for 'ironing' ribbon that has been creased or wrinkled! icon_wink.gif
* use on lowest setting!

I am surprised to find that most of my cake decorating tools come from the hardware store.
Hammer for hammering in dowels. (I posted on my fb status that I had buttercream on my hammer yesterday!)
A plastic putty scraper for smoothing icing, box cutter for cutting cardboard...and it goes on and on!!

I also found this cool number/letter set just the right size for embossing names and numbers into fondant. I found it where you would find cement stamps for making stepping stones in the garden!

It's hopeless, I too am cake crazed! (It's not terminal is it?)

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 28

my sister and got a chance to go in to Glasgow shopping with no kids we both had money and both spent it on cake making stuff and left t go home to bake very sad lol

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 28

Tesso, what a great story! Ha ha! icon_lol.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I love empty squeeze bottles. I don't use them for colorflow, tho. I use them to blow crumbs off or glitter on.

Plus, the various textures of nail files and emery boards for smoothing ragged gumpaste edges or poured sugar pieces.

Great idea for the squeeze bottles!!! I'm definitely gonna try that!

And I also have a stash of nail files for smoothing gumpaste. : )

Sarahbearah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahbearah Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 28

It always seems to go that way..! I have the same problem..

Cake just seems to become the main focus, and then on out everytime you try to shop for something else that you are in need of, it always goes back to something that catches your eye and sends your mind right back into cake, cake, cake cake..

Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 28

I think I'm going to Sally Beauty tomorrow...you've all got me thinking!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #17 of 28

I always check out the clearance rack at our local Krogers for whatever. Picked up a set of 3 stencils for 74cents today that I think will be great on a cake. You never know what you will find (that you really don't need!!)

tesso Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

dunce.gif I never even thought of that!! my old one is SOOO in need of replacing. smacking myself in the head!!

ohhh..another trip!! icon_biggrin.gif I am glad I am not alone.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #19 of 28

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention my pruning shears from the hardware store to cut the wooden dowels!
Ace Hardware loves me!
Ace is the place!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:17am
post #20 of 28

but are they food safe? the hair color bottles and combs?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:34am
post #21 of 28

Sally Beauty hummmm never thought of going their for cake supplies but I have gone to the quilt shop for cake supplies I guess I'll be going to Sally's tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

Molly

tesso Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:32am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

but are they food safe? the hair color bottles and combs?

just plain ole plastic, so I just sterilize them before using. thumbs_up.gif (they have never had anything in them, just wanted to clarify that icon_lol.gif )

I am lovin the angled bottle!!! The control it gives with flo icing is AWESOME !!!

I cant wait to try the other angled bottle on making string work!! (yah, I am experimenting again icon_biggrin.gif )

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:51am
post #23 of 28

I was using RI for cookies last week. One bottle from Sally's, one bottle from Wilton. The Wilton was brand new and it cracked after a dozen cookies. The Sally's is well used and still going strong.

I took myself out for a play date on Friday. I bought no clothing, no make-up, no jewelry, no hair prettys. I bought $100 worth of cake stuff. I go back and forth between, "No wonder you need to lose weight" and "Cake decorating- it's a sickness." LOL

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:37am
post #24 of 28

I have no idea how much money I have saved buying things at Lowe's plumbing dept. I wanted circle cutters of all different sizes and I'm telling you, the moment they slap a Wilton lable on it, or call it a cake or cookie tool the price goes through the roof!!

I applaude my sisters here for being so creative. My husband gets a huge kick out of me when my eyes glaze over at the lumberyard, hardware store or find some funky thing that works perfectly for caking.

I'll tell you something I did years ago for baking not related to caking. I do a lot of bread baking and make my own hamburger buns, bierocks, etc. I saved and cut the ends out of various sizes of cans and have them nested in my cupboard. Perfect cutters in everysize from tomato paste all the way up to the #10 can. Price?? FREE BABY!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:30am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

My 5 yr old daughter told her teacher that when she grows up she will work for me decorating cakes, and that it is going to be hard work!! thumbs_up.gif

Oooooh, but so much fun. Thanks for the idea of using a comb for texture! I take the wheels off of toy trucks for tire impressions...

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:00am
post #26 of 28

back to the is it safe question. I have been wanting a air brush gun for a long time but they are so expensive to buy from cake supply stores. Harbor Freight has them inexpensively but I don't know if they would be safe to use for food. How do you know if it is safe?

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:07am
post #27 of 28

I almost forgot there is a thread here on cc for inexpensive ideas and alternatives that I have in my watch list cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640455.html come to think of it I haven't been there in awhile, I just might visit there next.

tesso Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0063

back to the is it safe question. I have been wanting a air brush gun for a long time but they are so expensive to buy from cake supply stores. Harbor Freight has them inexpensively but I don't know if they would be safe to use for food. How do you know if it is safe?

you are looking for an airbrush system that is food safe which means the oil is contained. Or else machine oil can end up on your cake. check this place out for food safe http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/airb9.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%