Buttercream Covered Cakes Disasters!!

Decorating By Tor1985 Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 11:06pm by Tor1985

Tor1985 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 12

Hey all,

I've made two cake this last month covered in buttercream and both cakes were disasters!
The first one was a two tiered cake (having problems loading my pics on to cc) and it started to fall apart on the drive.
Second cake the torted cakes started to shift.

What am I doing wrong? The recipe I use is basically butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, little bit of water and crisco....are they too running is this why the cakes are shifting and falling apart? I prefer to work with fondant but have had people ask me for buttercream finishs. Live and learn I guess but what's going on?

Thanks for all your help!

11 replies
leily Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 12

1) On the tow tiered cake what support system did you use?
2) On the torted cake did you use a dam to keep your filling in? What kind of filling did you use?
3) What exactly is your recipe? Most american buttercreams use those ingredients, but to determine if it's to "runny" will depend on the actuall amounts of each ingredient.

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 12

How hot was it? If you used butter, and the environment was warm, the butter in the frosting could have melted, thus starting the layers to slide.

sweettreat101 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 12

I don't use Crisco anymore. Try use Hi ratio shortening it's more stable. I also don't torte my cakes. I feel that the more you torte and add layers of fillings the less stable your cake will be.

indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:36am
post #5 of 12

also how thick was your filling? if I tort, I use half the filling on each layer than I would use if I just did a cake that was 2" cake / filling / 2" ckae.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:48am
post #6 of 12

I will only torte if I have a 3" cake pan..but if it's 2" I will not torte. I have found that when my cake was torted it always shifted or was u not level. If you have too much filling it will shift. Your butter cream may not be stiff enough.

tonedna Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:25am
post #7 of 12

I will say this, there are so many things that can go wrong when doing a cake.
Shifting can be happening because too much filling. But you gotta keep in mind not all
buttercream recipes are great. Indy has a great recipe. And in my website there is another one.

Another thing..2 cakes is not enough to make an expert in putting buttercream perfectly smooth in a cake. It takes practice. Is like learning to write. You need to keep at it.

With that said, I leave you with my tutorials. They are simple but they might help.

Hope this helps!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Nusi Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:57am
post #8 of 12

use crisco... butter melts easily. i only use butter for something i know wont go in the heat or the humidity..
for the torted cake either too much filling or u didnt put a proper dam around your filling.

Tor1985 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for all the advice!

The recipe I use for my filling is:
1lb powered sugar
1/2c milk (I use 1/4c liquid)
1/4tasp vanilla
2 sticks of butter
1/2c shortening

For the tiered cake I used 5 supports in the bottom, Not enough??

For the other cake I used Indy's buttercream recipe to cover the cake and the above reipe for the filling...I used a dam but maybe I used too much? What tip should I use when making the dam?

Thanks again for all the advice and tips, I have a wedding cake coming up in two weeks and what it to look perfect.

lecrn Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 12

I use sugarshack's recipe for my bc, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Indy's as well. If you used Indy's recipe (no butter), it should hold up to extreme heat.
I make my dam using VERY stiff bc (almost like play dough). I squeeze it out using a round coupler. My filling is usually a little lower than the dam. Are you putting too much filling in? Is your filling even?
Do you let your cakes settle before applying your bc covering?
Is your cake completely level?
What kind of supports do you use? Are all your supports cut even? The amount of supports (if using dowels/straws) will depend on what size your cake tiers are.

TrixieTreats Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 12

Seems like the recipe you provided has a lot of fat and liquid for the amount of sugar. This makes it looser and wet. Wet=less sturdy. Typically regardless of the the actual recipe I use, the fat (butter or shortening or a combo of both) is about 1 cup to 1 lb of sugar. The liquid I add is about 6-8 tbsp to 1 lb sugar. Try a drier recipe, IndyDebi's, Sugarshack and Enda's are all wonderful in texture and taste. You can sub butter for some of the shortening in any of those, but don't exceed the total amount of fat called for in the recipe.

When making a dam, I use a bare coupler, no tip. Make sure your filling does not reach the top of the dam, or you will not get a good seal. If you are using a very slippery filling (like pudding) you have to be extra cautious of this. Also, your dam should be stiffer than the rest of the buttercream used to cover the cake. Like the consistency of a medium decorator icing.

Tor1985 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I thought my filling was too runny and added more ps. I think I'll try sugarshacks recipe and see how that goes!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%