In Need Of Apple Filling? What Icing Would Complmnt It?

Baking By dalis4joe Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm by snowshoe1

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 17

Hi my fellow cakesters:

LTNS.... I know... but it has been C_R_A_Y C_R_A_Y ( CRAZZYY ) but when I need something I won't go any where else OR trust any one site other than the true cake masters here at CC.

Ok so I have a bride that is requesting a tasting session and I know my "go to" cakes and fillings that I will be showing her...
BUT
(____|____) <--- Yeah THAT BIG! hehehehe

she has made a special request that has me stumped... she wants me to also give her sample of an APPLE FILLING! (as per her own words: not applie pie filling.... Apple Icing/FIlling made specifically for cakes) this is N_E_W to me so I need your help....

ALSO:

what cake flavor would complement that?
I was thinking of a spice cake.... what do you think? and if it's a spice cake with APPLE? filling... what kind of ICING?!?!?!

I would appreciate any and all the help you can send my way...

so... RECAP:

1. Need recipe for a wedding cake apple filling
2. Need to know if a spice cake would complement it? do you have a good Spice cake recipe?
3. If Spice cake is a no no.... what do you recommend? do you have the recipe?
4. What Icing would be good for this cake? Do you have the recipe also?

Love ya all!!
D

16 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 17

I don't have a recipe for apple filling, but I do think your idea of spice cake would go well. I like the idea of a cream cheese frosting, either spiced with a little cinnamon or maple. curious to see what other flavors people come up with.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #3 of 17

Can't help on the apple filling...I've never made that either.

Spice cake is a good possibility.

What about a caramel frosting? I'll be watching to see what other people suggest. Would love to know what y'all come up with.

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 17

Yum, that sounds so "Fall"!
I'm thinking you could make apple filling the same way strawberry filling is made. I make mine by chopping the fruit (about 16oz), adding sugar (about a cup), 1T cornstarch & vanilla and a little water. Simmering it on the stove for a bit til thickened.
For the apple filling, I would cut the apples very small (so they soften properly) and also add cinnamon to the mix. Use brown sugar instead of white.
Spice cake would be perfect! Make it with apple cider instead of water, yum!
I would either do a cinnamon or caramel IMBC or mix them together. Martha Stewart has a great IMBC recipe and also there's one on cake journal that's awesome!
Have fun, hope I was helpful icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 17

I wish I could help, but I love the uniqueness of this cake. Spice cake sounds good to me too. Possibly incorporate apple butter into the filling? That would give you a fine texture but giving you all the flavor of the apple filling.

It probably wouldn't work, but I keep thinking of mocha or chocolate with the apple butter mixed together. Those flavors individually work well with spice cake. Or , instead of the filling being apple, would she like an apple cake to give all the apple flavor? I can look to find my apple cake recipe for you.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:10am
post #6 of 17

I don't have a filling recipe (I could help you look though). If the filling has spice in it then a spice cake might be overkill. A basic yellow or white cake or even a walnut or pecan cake would be a nice compliment to it and enveloped in caramel meringue buttercream.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:23am
post #7 of 17

If you did a spice cake, you could make IMBC and use reduced apple juice instead of water in the recipe for a concentrated apple tasting buttercream (or substitute it for all or some of the liquid in your usual buttercream). Then, cover it with the caramel buttercream...

or spice cake with faux apple mousse- (puree filling(can simply cook down some peeled, cored, apple chunks if you like it less sweet) (sleeved works great!). In mixer bowl, beat 8 oz cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, 1/2- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar(again, depending on how sweet you want the filling) until fluffy. Add a couple of cups of the apple filling. Then, fold in several cups of Bettercreme. I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements...this is one of the few things that gets eyeball icon_eek.gif measurements.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:36am
post #8 of 17

I think a spice cake would go great with apple filling. An applesauce cake might go well with that filling as well - check out allrecipes.com, I always go there when I'm looking for a specific recipe first.

As for the filling - how about blending a touch of apple juice and some apple jelly into cream cheese frosting? I'd add a touch of cinnamon - I think it will bring out the flavour. I love blending preserves, jams and jellies into either cream cheese or vanilla buttercream - it allows for a smoother filling.

I hope it works out! Keep us posted!

dalis4joe Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:11am
post #9 of 17

Oh wow..... guys thanks so so much... before I posted here... my mind was like there is NO WAY I will find someting that wors...now after reading al this.... my mind is going 100 miles an hour.... love the caramel fosting... looovveedd how I can make the filling like making strawberry filling.... I also thought cinnamon! maybe a cinnamon buttercream....
and the apple butter... I never heard of that but sound AMAZING (that happened to me with Almond butter and when i tried it i loved it!) I want to hear more of that....
now I feel like this can actually come out pretty good... and the wedding is in Nov. so ot would be very "FALL" flavors

thanks so so much
keep'em coming and I'll keep'on writing them !!!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:37am
post #10 of 17

I love apple pie and rich french vanilla ice cream, :swoon:
So I'd make a rich french vanilla buttercream.

Of course other people like apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese...but I don't think that's the way to go icon_wink.gif

TammyTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyTam Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:33am
post #11 of 17

Did you think about a cinnamon based icing or adding a hint of maple flavoring??? That compliments apple filling and as mentioned French Vanilla sounds good too!

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:23am
post #12 of 17

I'm with all4cake walnut or pecan cake with apple filling and caramel icing sounds yummy but make at least one layer with something other than that just in case someone has a nut allergy.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 17

If she means by "not apple pie" filling, like the stuff out of the can, the could you do just a fresh apple filling and maybe she would like that? Recipe: 2 mid-sized granny smith apples - peeled and grated or chopped (depending on the consistency you want), 1/2 c. sugar, 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon, 2 t. lemon juice. Put apples in saucepan, over med. heat, add sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir frequently until cooked tender and are translucent brown. Set aside to cool. I don't know. Most of the recipes I have are like apple pie I guess.

dalis4joe Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

If she means by "not apple pie" filling, like the stuff out of the can, the could you do just a fresh apple filling and maybe she would like that? Recipe: 2 mid-sized granny smith apples - peeled and grated or chopped (depending on the consistency you want), 1/2 c. sugar, 1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon, 2 t. lemon juice. Put apples in saucepan, over med. heat, add sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir frequently until cooked tender and are translucent brown. Set aside to cool. I don't know. Most of the recipes I have are like apple pie I guess.

thanks so much for the recipe..... I will try it today!!!

So I'm thinking this is the way to go:

A CHai Spice Cake WITH
Apple Filling AND
Cinnamon infused Buttercream

whatcha think??????

I love the walnut or pecan idea but I'm always scared of nut allergies...so I try to avoid it....

but you guys gave me some awesome ideas! thanks so so much

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #15 of 17

Sounds Yummy! Did you know that Torani makes a Chai Spice syrup. I am going to make some Chai Spice cupcakes and I think I'll make a whipped frosting and flavor it with the syrup.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

thanks so much for the recipe..... I will try it today!!!

So I'm thinking this is the way to go:

A CHai Spice Cake WITH
Apple Filling AND
Cinnamon infused Buttercream

whatcha think??????

I love the walnut or pecan idea but I'm always scared of nut allergies...so I try to avoid it....

but you guys gave me some awesome ideas! thanks so so much

So how did the flavor combination come out? Just listening to it makes me want to have some.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:19pm
post #17 of 17

Brown sugar swiss meringue is the perfect icing for your apple cake (Martha Stewart has a recipe on her site).

The perfect spice cake, in my opinion, is Sylvia W.'s - its in her book - not sure if its online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%