Chocolate Buttercream Always Dries Out Fast?

Baking By russette80 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm by daltonam

russette80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
russette80 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:01am
post #1 of 5

Just wondering if its just the recipe Iv used or is it suppose to be like that. I use a recipe with Cocoa and it seems like it does not act like vanilla BC. It is kind of dry and when I get to covering the cake with fondant it has dried out and the fondant doesn't want to stick. Is there recipes with melted chocolate instead of cocoa and if so does it do the same? Thanks for any advice provided icon_smile.gif

4 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 5

Sorry I can't be of any help, all of my chocolate frosting are soft. As for Chocolate Buttercream I just add cocoa to my regular buttercream, minus my extract that I normally use. (have you thought about adding heavy whipping cream or even milk to it?) I have used ganache that I let get cold in the fridge then added it & buttercream together. Still soft.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

I use the Hershey recipe on the side of the cocoa can. Luv it.

If you think your icing is too dry, then just add a smidgett of add'l liquid. Adding milk (or water ... whatever you use) works fine. Add'l add'l fat (crisco or butter) will also help but remember adding more fat affects the crusting ratio if it's a crusting recipe. more fat = less crusting.

russette80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
russette80 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 5

Thank you daltonam and indydebi for you replies. I am totally going to take your advice. I now have a few ideas to work withicon_smile.gif You are really great to respond to quick and help a fellow cake lady out icon_smile.gif This was my 1st forum post and am pleased and surprised how helpful you were. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

I'm always happy to help, I haven't been on in awhile until this past week & everyone seems to be just as nice as before. Now indydebi is a WEALTH of INFO......love this lady!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%