Pastillage And Clay Extruder?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 2:26am by Debi2

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 4

I've never used Pastillage before but am getting ready to try it for the first time tonight or tomorrow to make a tiara. Can I put it through an extruder gun like I do gumpaste and fondant? If yes, how do I thin it down enough to "extrude", but not so much it won't set up as it should?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Debi2 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 4

Hi all,
I hadn't gotten an answer to my question by the time I wanted to try this, so I just went ahead. I did have to thin my pastillage a little to make it extrude nicely. The first time I tried water and it was too sticky, so the second time I added a little shortening, which worked great, but not sure how that would've effected the drying and strength? But after all that, it still was drying too fast to do what I was wanting. So, I thought I'd post my results here so you would all know for yourselves in the future. icon_smile.gif Love the pastillage though...just not for the extruder. ha ha

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Debi

I've got this thread on my watchlist as I'm interested in any replies you get, sorry I have no useful advice.

Just to let you know your picture didn't come up, I think the site is having troubles.....?

Debi2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:26am
post #4 of 4

Hi Zespri, Are you speaking my pics in "photos"? I didn't post any pics of the tiara yet since I haven't actually started making it with the royal icing. I never got far enough along using the pastillage to warrant a photo. ha ha. I will post one of my finished tiara on the cake though. Thanks for your post, Maybe we will still get some info from someone. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%