Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By gumby Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm by GenGen

gumby Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 3

I am going to attempt to make the baby bottom cake for a shower this coming weekend and I am very nervous. I have never worked with fondant so this is a big deal. My question is how far in advance can I make the fondant? Just in case I need to do it several times or have to go try to purchase from a local bakery. Any tips or suggestions for making this cake would be greatly appreciated..

2 replies
lolobell Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 3

Hi ! i use Marshmallow Fondant all the time...i make mine the night or two before i am going to use it.. it works better (for me anyways) if it has a chance to sit over-night. i always need to pop it in the micro for 30-60 seconds to soften it so it's workable.....

i use a mixture of cornstarch/powdered sugar to dust my counter so it doesn't stick when rolling... marshmallow fondant is a bit heavier than Satin Ice so you want to roll it thin enough ... i do about 1/4 inch thick..sometimes thinner.. unless you need the thickness for decoration purposes...

i use Indy Debi's butter-cream recipe to fill and ice my cake...smooth it well and then i usually let my filled and iced cake sit over-night...., then the next day i apply the fondant...

hope that helps
Marianne

GenGen Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 3

i found for the mmf that i'm using i use this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/articles/105/mmf-how-to-decorate-cake-marshmallow-fondant to add a teaspoon or two of light corn syrup to it. when its mixed it will still be rather soft so empty it in a greased bowl (i use the bowl i melted the marshmallows in as it still contains enough grease for this) and let it rest a few moments then knead it up. other wise its like trying to hold on to jello lol.

the reason i do this- is it makes it nice and soft and pliable and has less tears and rips once its on the cake.

i use the corn syrup for this mmf ONLY for covering a cake. if i'm making any decorations i do not add corn syrup (i later add gumpaste)

hope this helps

also if your planning to make chocolate mmf with this recipe be sure to add about 2-3 tbs yes tbs of corn syrup or it will be very dry and crumbly.

ps. if you do make your fondant the night before it will be hard when you get ready to use it. microwave what you need for about 10 second intervals till its nice and soft to knead. do not over microwave it- it will melt.

i myself prefer to use it as soon as its handle-able.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%