Need Answer Now If Anyone Is On! (Please?)

Lounge By KayMc Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 2:08am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 9

I made a full batch of WASC, and put two 8" layers in the oven to bake. I also filled a 6" pan, but didn't want it baking w/ the larger layers, as I knew the larger pans will sink when I open the door earlier to check on the 6". I covered the 6" filled pan w/ plastic wrap and put in the fridge. My question:
Do I need to bring this up to room temp before putting in the oven? Thanks in advance, if anyone is out there!

8 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 9

No, but you might need to bake a touch longer than you would have thought. Ideally, yes, you would bring it to room temp, but I do it all the time with the cold WASC batter and it works perfectly. HTH!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 9

When I do that, I don't refrigerate the smaller pan. I just make sure it's not sitting on the oven.

I'd take it out of the fridge about 15-20 minutes before the other two are done.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 9

I don't know about the wasc but, I take them directly from the freezer to the oven. So, I'd imagine straight from fridge to oven would be fine to do. As emiyeric stated, you might need to bake a bit longer. Also, like 3GCakes, if I plan on baking them right after a batch in the oven, I leave them on the counter, away from the oven.

KayMc Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks. I did bake before bringing to room temp, and it appears to have worked fine. I don't want it on the counter, as I've read several places that as soon as the baking soda or baking powder becomes wet, it starts it's work at levening. I did notice a few bubbles in the cake batter when I removed it from the fridge, and I'm guessing that's what caused it? Oh well, seems to have worked fine.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 9

Seeing as the action begins to occur as soon as they get wet, it wouldn't matter whether it was in the fridge or on the counter

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 9

I am so glad you brought this up. I am going to be doing the same thing next weekend for the 1st time.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #8 of 9

I have an article from a magazine that says that it happens with baking powder. "Baking powder activates instantly when you mix wet and dry ingredients, enlarging bubbles in the batter and making it rise. But if you don't work quickly and get the batter into the oven in just a few minutes, those bubbles will rise right out of the batter and into the air."

That's why I put extra batter in the refrigerator, too, if it contains baking powder.

Also it seems that the different baking powders react differently. That's why you see different labels: fast-acting, slow-acting and double-acting. Most of the ones we use are double-acting. Half of the rising happens at room temperature and the other half in the oven.

So yes, there's a reason why you should put the batter in the refrigerator, to retard the action. I usually take it out of the refrigerator and put it in the oven, it will just take a few more minutes to get baked.

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #9 of 9

Yes, thanks for the info! I've read that the cooling in the fridge delays the levening action of the activated baking powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%