Fondant Mess!!

Baking By Christy568 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 6:53am by auntginn

Christy568 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:19am
post #1 of 4

I made MMF using 16 oz MM, 3 tbls h20 & 2 lbs p. sugar....dyed it the perfect color blue, and now I cannot get it to roll out! We have thrown away two cakes for a party that is tomorrow at 7 pm (it's 2:20 am now)! It's a graduation party for my cousin and I have nothing done!!! Is it cheating him of an awesome cake if I give up the fondant and just use chocolate icing?!?! icon_cry.gif

3 replies
paoli96 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:32am
post #2 of 4

Sorry to hear your dilemma - - I struggled all last week on a wedding cake. Had some problems this week.

It is NOT cheating him if you do not use fondant! Most of my cakes are buttercream and then I decorate them with fondant accents. They can be just as beautiful.

You can do it!

Good luck!

(I too, am still up and it is 2:35 a.m.) AHHH.

tesso Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:32am
post #3 of 4

why isnt it rolling?

Too stiff.. just add a 1-2 more tablespoons of water and re-knead.

also. microwave fondant for 30 second intervals to warm up. before rolling. dont want it too hot but warm and pliable.

also mmf needs to sit for an hour or two before using. preferably overnight if possilbe.

re-read your post.. and 16 oz of marshmallows will require about 5-6 tbs of water.

auntginn Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:53am
post #4 of 4

I don't use any water in my mmf. I add 1/2 cup of melted white chocolate, 2tblspns butter vanilla flavoring and the ps. More often then not it sits overnight, but occasionally if I run out I make some up and use as soon as it cools.

I say warm it up slightly grease your hands generously with shortening and knead it in. Sounds like your mmf is too stiff that's all.

Don't know about the cakes though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%