Q's 'bout Covering A Heart Shaped Cake In Fondant

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 5:19am by srkmilklady

bmoser24 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:40am
post #1 of 5

I love working with fondant, and even like covering square shapes. I have never covered a heart shaped before...any suggestions or warnings?
I really use and appreciate the advice I get from all of you!
TY & Blessings

4 replies
ski Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:45am
post #2 of 5

Same way as any other. Always remember to quickly press the top sides all the way around first, before pressing the whole side. This technique prevents the cake from pulling at the bottom and potentially ripping.

srkmilklady Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:59am
post #3 of 5

I have 2 heart cakes in my photos...I just worked the same way as covering any other shape. Just a little more care when it came to the indent at the top of the heart, but really not a problem.
I'm sure you'll be fine...good luck! thumbs_up.gif

bmoser24 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

thanks all!
srkmilklady...I love your cakes. The brown heart, did you use ganche? that cake has sharper edges, I noticed. Not sure what effect I want yet, soft or sharp.

srkmilklady Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:19am
post #5 of 5

Thanks bmoser24....the brown heart cake was a chocolate fudge cake filled with whipped chocolate caramel ganache, and covered with chocolate fondant! My son and daughter-in-law's 10th anniversary and my DIL loves chocolate!! Yes, the chocolate cake had the sharper edges, but the white heart was carved slightly before fondanting...which I much prefer on a heart shape. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%