Some Advice Needed Please! Asap

Decorating By shmily23 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 1:39am by all4cake

shmily23 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone,

So I've got a 5 tier wedding cake due tomorrow. Earlier today (this morning actually) I filled and crumb coated my cakes. I still haven't put on the fondant. Actually I'm nervous to put it on. I'm taking the advice of some other members of letting my cakes settle to avoid all that unwanted gas under the fondant. My question is when should I put on the fondant??? It still feels cold the buttercream hasn't crusted at all (I used indydebi's recipe) still see some condensation beads on the icing icon_cry.gif how much longer for the cakes to settle? The cake is due Sat afternoon, plus I'm in the wedding party. Any advice or words of wisdom? TIA icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

I would start putting the fondant on now. Five tiers will take you some time, plus you're going to have other responsiblities tomorrow and you're not going to want to be messing with the cake up until the last minute.

JaeRodriguez Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:18am
post #3 of 6

Is the cake in the fridge or has it been in the fridge?

shmily23 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 6

no its been sitting on my counter so it can get to room temp

JaeRodriguez Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:21am
post #5 of 6

I would wait until it's completely back to room temp BUT that being said humidity is a nightmare where I am and I never put cakes in the fridge EVER because it will cause bubbles and bulges (Not all the time for other people, but just in my case) I hope someone else will give you their input too!

all4cake Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:39am
post #6 of 6

I'm with Texas_Rose...I would put the fondant on. Have a pin ready should a bubble begin to form so you can release the air and smooth the area before the fondant gets too firm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%