7 Foot Long Cake Board???? (Sort Of Long)

Decorating By mareg Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 3:04am by mareg

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 14

I'm making a 6'+ crayon cake out of 6" rounds. I need a 7 foot cake board. I'm planning on having a board cut at HomeDepot for a 14"X7' How in the world do I put the cakeboard on it? Hot glue pieces???

Any ideas how to secure the cake on the board???
I know I'll have to cut the round to make a flat spot on the cake. Should I put dowels down the middle to prevent them from moving all over????

Thanks for taking the time to read this icon_smile.gif

13 replies
mareg Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 14

anybody have ideas?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 14

Are you going to have to travel with the cake? Do you have a place to put the 7in cake board?

I would just cover the wood the same way you cover everything else.

mareg Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 14

Yes I am going to travel with it. I'm going to lay it flat in my Yukon xl. I'm thinking I don't want to put the cake right on top of the foil on the wood. I'm making it in 2foot sections then putting it together to ice an finish.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 14

At Home Depot they have a styrofoam-type board that is used to make cornice boards (and other stuff I'm sure). I used them to make my cornice boards. They come in very big sheets and you can have them cut just like you would have wood cut. It just seems like that would be much easier to carry around... unless I have the wrong idea of what you are wanting. I swear, I have moved those boards all around my house to get them out of the way and they haven't broken yet.
Hot glue would work to glue the cake boards to it but personally I would use foamboard or something similar just for stability.
You can also "glue" the cakes to the board with a bit of buttercream. That's what I do with all of my cakes to keep them from sliding around.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 14

Get a big cardboard box, tape it together, and cover it with plastic wrap or something food safe. I bet you'll need 3 people to move it onto the wooden board.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 14

Carpet tape is what we use to attach cakes to boards. Works better than glue, icing, etc... Just make sure when you place the cake on the board it is placed properly, there is no moving it!

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 14

I'm thinking that cardboard box would not be strong enough and that when you lift it, the cake will crack. I tried something similar once and that happened to me (cake was 4 feet long.) I';d stick with wood and cover it nicely.
Would love to see a photo when it's done! Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:04am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Should I put dowels down the middle to prevent them from moving all over????

Yes, I think you'd need one long dowel through the entire thing with "bookends" secured to each end of the dowel to keep the 6" rounds from separating from one another. You may need to consider building it flat, rather than threading all of the cakes onto your pole/dowel rod that would need to be tipped over flat at some point.

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #10 of 14

Will your car fit that long of a board?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #11 of 14

years ago, a friend of mine made a 7 ft cake for a local radio station promotion. She took two of the 8ft rectangle tables; folded up the legs of one and placed it on top of the 2nd table. She then placed the cardboards/cakes on top of the table to work on it.

When the radio station arrived to pick it up (in their van), they just picked up the top table that had the legs folded up under it and placed it in the van. Once they arrived at the location, they just unfolded the table legs and set it in place.

the cake was decorated, delivered and displayed on the same table. No lifting. The radio station returned her table the next day.

It was genius and worked VERY well!

not sure if this is an option, but just thought I'd share the story as an idea.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #12 of 14

Debi your friend is a genius! lol I read this just to see who could think outside the box so to speak icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:14am
post #13 of 14

I enjoyed your story, IndyDebi!

It reminded me of one of the guys that worked in our bakery who did the same thing on an 8' rectangle table that had every inch of the surface covered with an "oil painting" cake... super detailed.

When I made a 6' cake, I decorated the entire thing on-site (but it was nothing nearly as detailed as the spatula-painted BC cake).

mareg Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:04am
post #14 of 14

Thank you. Thank you!! I love all of these ideas. Had not thought of or even seen the styrofoam at home depot! I'll look for carpet tape too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%