How To Make David Bridal's Watermelon Pink?

Decorating By Mama_Mias_Cakes Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 1:45am by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make gerber daisies in David Bridals Watermelon pink. I have tried burgundy - too purple. I have tried pink with, too red. Has anyone colored fondant in this color? If so what did you use? I have access to Wiltons, cake craft, and Americolors.

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 8

check out this chart, I always use it when mixing colors

also, the americolor electric pink when made dark gives a very similar color to the watermelon at David's Bridal

Here is a cake I did with the americolor electric pink but I didn't make it that can see that if the pink was a darker shade of the same color it would be just about perfect for you.

KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Khalstead!

ttehan4 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 8

I hate that color!! It was a huge pain in the butt for me to match too! I tried the electric pink and it is too pink. I added to it, tried other combinations and no luck.

It is more of a Raspberry color. I would love to know if someone else has had success.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 8

Thank you everyone for your help, but I give up. I went through a whole bag of gum paste and am now the proud owner of 8 different colors of pink gels. I cannot get this darn color. I found silk gerber daisies that match the ribbon perfectly. Gonna use that instead and discount the cake a bit for no longer making gumpaste ones.

leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 8

I made Watermelon Pink tonight. Started with precolored pink fondant, added scraps of light pink, dark pink, burgundy and then added some burgundy gel color. I've found the best bet is to start with the precolored fondants and mix those rather than trying to start with white and use gels for color.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Leah!! I'll have to try that. I definitely will order some and give that a try. I just gave up on this cake, because I have more orders I have to work on. But I am going to make this color icon_biggrin.gif. I'll have to do it for my Mom's birthday cake coming soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%