Wedding Cupcakes- I Need Tips!

Baking By vandru10 Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm by imagenthatnj

vandru10 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all! I am going to be making around 250 wedding cupcakes for my best friends wedding. I have never made this many cupcakes, and have only recently started decorating cakes as a hobby, so I have a few questions. Any help would be great!

1-How in advance can I make the cupcakes before the wedding?
2-If I make them early and store them in the freezer, how do I do that? Do i have to wrap each cupcake individually in saran wrap and freeze it, or is there an easier way to store them?
3- When I take them out of the freezer to thaw, do I take them out of whatever they were stored in, or do I leave them in that to thaw? And how soon do I need to take them out of the freezer before I start icing them?
4- What is the best and most efficient icing tip to use to ice cupcakes?

Thanks for any feedback!

4 replies
nannycakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 5

I would use a 1m tip.

Kamstor Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Vandru10

I just did 150 cupcakes for a wedding two weeks ago. I used a 1m tip to decorate mine (I have some pictures under my profile). I made my cupcakes a week in advance and froze them wrapping them in saran wrap then in tin foil. Each pack contacted 24 cupcakes. So no you dont need to wrap them individually.

When I defrost my cupcakes I take them out at least 2-3 hours in advance and unwrap them and just let them thaw on the counter. If you need to decorate that same morning and time is an issue let them thaw out the night before and when they are done thawing I wrap mine back up in the saran wrap and tin foil to stay moist.

Hope this help good luck I am sure they will turn out great.

Julie53 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Kamstor-can bake 1 week ahead,defrost night before you want to ice. Tip 1M is my favorite for cuppies. Good Luck!

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

If you don't want to use the 1M tip, you could also use a big round tip. They would look like this (and it's about the same technique):

Thanks everyone else for the tips about freezing them. I always wondered how you do a lot of them and was hoping you didn't have to do them one by one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%