1St Book Cake And They Want Buttercream...possible?

Decorating By Mamatoboys Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm by Mamatoboys

Mamatoboys Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

My neighbor asked me to make a cake for her daughter's birthday (this Sunday). She wants the cake to look like her daughter's favorite book. She wants buttercream. I've never done a book cake before and need some advice.

The cake will be 9x13. Should I frost the entire cake in white and then add another layer of icing for the colors? I was thinking of using MMF for the details on the cover of the book. My concern is the background is two diferent colors. Should I paint the buttercream? Here's a link to the book...

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

6 replies
jobueno Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there I believe this is do-able. Frost your cake in a crusting buttercreme and once its crusted over you can use soemthing like the grid on the front of the book to airbrush it. Then use fondnat for your accents.

Mamatoboys Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, jobeuno. I don't have an airbrush (I'm just a hobby baker). Do you think painting will work?

KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 7

it's possible to do them in all buttercream (fondant looks nicer IMO) here is one I did

I would be tempted to do that design in reverse.........frost the whole thing in grey and then pipe on the white grid and the top sky color??

Kaykaymay Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 7

Edible Image!

Mamatoboys Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the ideas, KHalstead. Your cake is beautiful!

Kaykaymay - That would be a great idea if I had a food safe printer/ink. Since I just make cakes for a hobby, ordering it from the local bakery just means more money out of my pocket icon_smile.gif Plus, I love the challenge of trying to do this myself!

Mamatoboys Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the advice! I think the cake came out pretty good! I couldn't attach the pic, but it's in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%