Help! Choc. Banana Cake W/ Banana Cream Cheese Filling?

Decorating By shearpamela Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 6:02am by iluvpeeks

shearpamela Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

I have a sock monkey cake due, and the Mom wants chocolate cake and a compatible filling. Of course banana flavored filling seems perfect being a monkey theme.
I have plans to add banana pudding to my chocolate cake, but not sure that will interfere with the chocolate taste too much?
I also want to do a cream cheese filling but I am worried the ripe banana will turn brown and look unappetizing.
If I use Lorann Banana Creme oils will it be too chemical/artificial tasting?
Has any one used fruit fresh to prevent browning?
Thanks for any help you have to offer!

5 replies
SugarMoon Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

Just an opinion - I'm not too experienced with decorating, but I do bake alot. I think the chocolate cake should just be chocolate. I don't think the banana pudding would do much because chocolate is such a powerful flavor on its own - think coffee enhancing chocolate but you don't really taste the coffee, do you? Also, anyone who isn't a fan of banana flavor can scrape it off and enjoy your yummy chocolate cake.
Anyway, I had a similar problem trying to make banana cheesecakes. I tried mashed bananas and the problem is always that it kind of tastes a bit like banana bread, and you just need more "punch". I've had good success with the LorAnn banana flavoring, but it is more like banana flavored candy. I kind of enjoy that flavor, though. Country Kitchen sells something called Icing Fruit. It's like super concentrated banana. It was that that made my Banana cheesecakes super awesome. There is, of course, also banana liqueur. Hopefully this is helpful to you icon_smile.gif

shearpamela Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you - it was helpful! I might just use the lorann oils to be safe, and sick with the chocolate cake on its own right so as not to merge the flavors too much. I will look into the icing fruit for sure for the next cake project! Thanks for the advice and tips icon_smile.gif

SugarMoon Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 6

oooooh, maybe put the banana pudding mix IN the cream cheese filling as well. Just thought of that. That could be good.

shearpamela Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 6

What a great idea!

iluvpeeks Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 6:02am
post #6 of 6

I just made banana chocolate cupcakes this weekend. I found the recipe on They were absolutely delicious. You actually mash two ripe bananas into the mix, and I also added Banana Creme Torani syrup. I used banana creme instant pudding mix, a little more syrup to boost the banana flavor, a little milk, and Instant whip topping (its like bettercreme, only it has absolutely no chemical taste and tastes just like real whipped cream) to make a mousse to fill and top the cupcakes. I also whipped up some more Instant Whip, and added Torani strawberry syrup, then put both banana and strawberry cremes in a decorating bag, and made swirl top on the cupcakes. Tasted delicious. My grandson called them banana splits! If you want the recipe I can give it to you. I got 24 cupcakes out of the recipe. They domed really nice, and the cake was super moist, and very light in texture. I can't see why you couldn't use the recipe for cakes as well. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%