Cake Is Crumbling

Baking By bakergirl63 Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm by tokazodo

bakergirl63 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #1 of 17

I am making a cake this weekend with filling. The bottom tier is a 16 inch square w/ strawberry filling. I am making 4 layers instead of torting two. The second is a 12 inch round marble cake w/ chocalate bavarian. The third is a 10 inch white cake w/ raspberry filling. The problem is that my cake keeps crumbling. I pushed it back together and froze the 12 inch and 10 inch. The 12 inch is almost in pieces but when it got cold, it quit crumbling. the 10 inch was hopeless- had to throw away and I will have to redo tomorrow. My questions are- why are they so crumbly- I added extra eggs, watch my ingredients, baked at the correct temp. Also- regarding the 12 inch- if it's in pieces, but still together on the cake, what will happen if it's cut? Will it crumble into pieces as it's being cut? Does anyone have any imput? I won't have time to re-make the 12 inch along with the 10 inch so I can't remake both.

16 replies
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 17

I would rebake what you could..and use what you can..or feel comfortable with. Sounds like you have a problem with your recipe. I would go back over it before you use it again. I have been there..it's tough. But I am sure you will come up with a solution...cakers are resourcful!

Karen421 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #3 of 17

Were they cool when you filled and crumb coated?

bakergirl63 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 17

Yes, the cakes were all cool- some I baked the night before. My hubby (who is the greatest!) is helping me- we're baking some of the 10 inch layers tonight and our revised recipe works- adding another egg and a little less water to make the batter thicker. I use Pillsbury and have not had a problem like this before. I did make a wedding cake in Aug with a little trouble- but mostly the filling seeping out the edges. Anyway, thanks for your help and hopefully the second time is a charm!

Karen421 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #5 of 17

I don't use Pillsbury, so I can't suggest anything for that, but when you have time, you might give the durable 3d cake recipe a try. I love it - it holds up to anything!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

bakergirl63 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:34am
post #6 of 17

Thanks for your help- and I will try the 3D batter next time- it looks like it got rave reviews!

I'll let everyone know how the cake turned out- hopefully, the drama is behind us..

sweetheart6710 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:28am
post #7 of 17

I can't make larger/stacked cakes with pillsbury. The good thing about it is, its SO moist and delicious, but the bad part about it is, it's so fragile. I went through the same thing, and it was so awful. I'm so sorry you had to rebake, that is the worst. Good luck with the second batch. I have moved on to the WASC cake from this site, and have had no problems since.

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 17

I use DH also..it is just a better cake! Never have any problems!

bakergirl63 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks for everyone who gave me tips- I've (hopefully) attached a picture of the cake- today is the big day! I did have to remake 2 of the layers of the middle tier and all of the smaller tier (the one right under the anniversary cake). The only problem I am still having is the filling that I used in the middle tier (choc bavarian) keeps seeping out of the bottom of the cake. As you can see, I have fondant leaves covering alot of the cake, so I strategically placed them where I was still having problems with seeping. Hopefully, everything will be okay!

kansaslaura Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 17

This is the second thread I've seen mention of the fact that Pillsbury doesn't hold together well. I'm pretty disgusted with BC and the change in flavor recently and was considering trying Pillsbury--but not now--not after all the problems I'm read about.

I guess it's off to see if DH is better than the last time I tried it.

Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 17

I love DH it hasn't failed me yet! (hope I didn't jinx myself!) icon_biggrin.gif

bakergirl63 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 17

My last post was between wedding and reception (with the cake safely at the hall), so now I can post that the cake was a huge success and everything went off without a hitch- I will try DH, especially for big cakes, but I probably won't take many more huge cakes right now. Thanks for everyone's help!

tokazodo Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

This is the second thread I've seen mention of the fact that Pillsbury doesn't hold together well. I'm pretty disgusted with BC and the change in flavor recently and was considering trying Pillsbury--but not now--not after all the problems I'm read about.

kansaslaura, I'm a Dough Boy girl. I swear by Pillsbury. *whispers softly* but I am not a real fan of the WASC . (please, don't shoot spit balls at me!)
I just use the standard Pillsbury and follow directions on the back. I've not had luck with WASC. It was gooey and wet (I did bake it all the way) and I had a hard time splitting it for filling. (I freeze my layers and thaw slightly to torte)

I am wondering if the climate in the areas we are from, or the water, is making a difference in how the cakes mixes react when we use them.
Just a thought, not necessarily a good one.
*please don't hate me because I'm talking smack about WASC!*

Karen421 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 17

tokazodo you are to funny! Have you tried the Durable 3d recipe? Did you do the WASC with Pillsbury?

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #15 of 17

I used to use Betty Crocker when I first started out. Then I tried Pillsbury and now that is all I use. It is a denser cake and holds together much, much better than BC. Maybe like someone else said before me, the different areas give a different result for everyone.

kansaslaura Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

*please don't hate me because I'm talking smack about WASC!*

I don't like WASC either, but I do doctor mixes. No worries here! icon_lol.gif

tokazodo Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

tokazodo you are to funny! Have you tried the Durable 3d recipe? Did you do the WASC with Pillsbury?

@ karen421
As a matter of fact, I haven't tried the 3d cake mix. I tried just the wasc, and I don't seem to remember which brand cake mix I used, or if I put the pudding in the mix. Also, after reviewing the the 3d recipe, I think I may have added too much water. The 3d recipe looks interesting, I think I might give it a whirl!
Thanks Karen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%