Cakeballs Have Bloom! Ok For A Customer?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 3:45am by KristyCakes

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

So I'd just like to know how others would handle this.

I made cakepops tonight for a customer. Used the Wilton melts (yes, I know, gross).

Don't know if it's the fact that I'm in a new location (different stove, thermostat, etc.) but my dark brown chocolate melts have ended with the white haze/bloom.

Sweet husband says he hardly notices. Hmmmm.... the perfectionist in me has a huge problem with how they look.

I know they are fine taste-wise, but I'm curious to know if you woud still give them to a customer?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

5 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:05am
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't. I would try and double dip one to see if that helps. My motto is always put your best product out.

KristyCakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 6

Thanks myslady for your input. Unfortunately, I did try to double dip. No luck. No way I'd charge her for them. Wondering if others would just scrap them and rebake - start again?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #4 of 6

Make lemonade! Lusterdust those babies or hit them with cocoa or some other topping. We know it is not bad. It is just some sort of tempering issue.

Other items are crushed chocolate cookies, crushed candies, sugar... have fun!

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 6

Old pastry chef trick that might work with a very delicate touch: a light touch with a butane torch. Light. Did I say light? More like hot hair dryer light. Worth a try, I think. Very best of luck.

KristyCakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:45am
post #6 of 6

Sweetwise, we're on the same wavelength! I did try a "butane torch" ie - grill lighter! icon_smile.gif Helped a little, but left them very dull - almost a complete haze. Then I rubbed one with canola. (That ended up even worse...) I'm starting to hate cakepops! Hoping after a night of sleep they will look much better tomorrow. One can always dream! haha

And thanks for the luster dust suggestion, matthewkyrankelly. The cake pops are owls, unfortunately. I tried dusts I had on hand (mushroom, pearl, bronze, etc.) I think from now on I'll be sticking with simple round cakepops!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%