First Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By NewtoConfections Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 7:47am by Evoir

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 12

Hi I'm making my first wedding cake and right now I'm finishing up baking the layers it is a WASC cake baked in 2inch pans the tiers will be 12,10 & 8 I was wondering if I need to torte the layers? The bride didn't want a filling so it will be just buttercream icing between the layers. Do I need to torte the layers or just leave them like they are after leveling the layers?

11 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 12

You don't have to torte them, you can have 2" layers. It really depends on what the bride would like. HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 12

If you are making each layer 4 inches (2 two-inch cakes same size), I would definitely put a small amount of buttercream between the two layers.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 12

If the bride doesn't want filling, then I wouldn't bother to to torte. Just do a layer of BC between the 2 layers.

Kristy

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 12

I normally torte my cakes so I can ensure that the texture is right and it has been cooked all the way through.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #6 of 12

I always torte, it makes a nice presentation when cut and can set you apart from your competition. Also, if it is between layers it is a filling even if it is just bc.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:42am
post #7 of 12

I always try to torte and fill. It makes the cakes just a little bit taller and more eye appealing.

NewtoConfections Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:51am
post #8 of 12

Did I over bake? I made 3 layers for each tier so if I torted them it would be 6 layers will that be too many or is that just right?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:54am
post #9 of 12

Usually I do 2 layers for each tier, not 3, but depends what you told the bride and what she paid for

NewtoConfections Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #10 of 12

She paid for 3 layers but you guys helped a lot I'm going to torte them and if it's too high then I will remove a layer but next time I'll only bake for 2 layers then torte them to make 4.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:16am
post #11 of 12

I don't torte my cakes I bake two layer and put a filling in between the two. I think the more you cut the less stable your cake will be and I don't like to take chances with wedding cakes.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:47am
post #12 of 12

Well, we don't tend to torte or fill wedding cakes here often, for traditional shaped wedding cakes! We tend to also just bake one taller layer, not two! It becomes a challenge when you are trying to build a taller cake and the bride doesn't want ANY fillings!!

If I do get someone who wants a filling in their wedding cake, its usually only one filling in a solid torted 3 inch layer. I always torte and fill other butter/sponge cakes, but as our wedding cakes are usually denser mud cakes, its not asked for always, and if it is, or if we are going for a taller tier look, we fill with ganache as lighter fillings wouldn't hold up well with mud cake.

Just one of the interesting caking differences between Australia and the USA I guess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%