Beehive Cake

Decorating By mfruchey Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 2:39am by mfruchey

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi, everyone. I am making a beehive cake this weekend, and have been looking around for some good examples. I like Debbie Brown's cake from her 50 Easy Party Cakes book but have some questions about the directions.

According to the book, it does not seem as though Debbie uses cake boards or dowels in the cake at all, but I am afraid problems because of the height. I'm not baking a sponge cake--perhaps that is the difference...

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Also, I would prefer to not carve the cake if possible. Do you think a 10", 9" 8", and half a sports ball would work nicely?

15 replies
mfruchey Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:40am
post #2 of 16

Actually, I'm thinking a 10", 8" and 6" with a half ball on top....

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #3 of 16

You'll have to carve at least a bit. The top edges of the 8 and 10 are rounded on the top sides. To keep carving to a minimum, the sports ball would work, but the carving on this one looks fairly easy.

I would use boards and dowels. I've also noticed that when her figures are standing, she tells you to just lean them against the cake. I know that would never work me in a million billion years. icon_biggrin.gif

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 16

here's a quick youtube video

She doesn't carve much here. It is super sweet!! Post a photo!

mfruchey Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks, guys. I've done carving before--I guess I was just worried about having it be "just so." I'll just have to put on my Little Engine That Could hat and think positive! Thanks for all the help!

One last question--would you dowel through the middle cake as well or skip? I'd hate to have a hole in the middle that I'd have to cover up.

trishvanhoozer Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 16

I would dowel through the whole cake - or use the SPS system. I just don't even risk it anymore. Too many sleepless nights worrying about the cake falling over! LOL

mfruchey Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 16

I don't have SPS--it confuses me, lol, and I am taking a break from cakes for awhile after this. Maybe if/when I decide to come back, I'll try it and come back stronger! icon_wink.gif

trishvanhoozer Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 16

The beehive was my next fun project - so I hope it turns out well for you. The SPS system is great, and it really makes life easier in the cake decorating world! After your break read up on it and give it a try! Good luck on this one!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfruchey

I don't have SPS--it confuses me, lol, and I am taking a break from cakes for awhile after this. Maybe if/when I decide to come back, I'll try it and come back stronger! icon_wink.gif

Oh - SPS is so much easier than any other way! When you come back we will help you, just post and we will be there!!! thumbs_up.gif

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 16

sorry to jump in here, but could somebody please let me know what the sps system is? or a link that has an explanation? I don't think we have sps here in Aust but hopefully we will have something similar!
Thanks!!

lollyponpon Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:18am
post #11 of 16

jus wondering still about the SPS method? is that a product or a technique??
thanks again

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:16am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollyponpon

jus wondering still about the SPS method? is that a product or a technique??
thanks again

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925-sps.html

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 16

I have a bee hive in my photos I made last year. I only used a 8" 6" 4" and mini ball on top. I didn't use any supports as the top two layers were so small. I did put a dowel right through the middle so that it would stay put while I was icing and applying fondant.

As you are going with bigger sizes it would be very easy to put one single support in the middle. I wouldn't board each cake as you are using single layers for each level it makes it like a regular cake without the board.

The carving is very easy on this one, just simply rounding the edges icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

lollyponpon Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #14 of 16

thanks tea42 icon_smile.gif i'll go off and read it now!!

LadyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyJay Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #15 of 16

I'd like to know what the sps system is too! But YES - center dowel that cake- why make yourself crazy worrying that it will topple over!?

mfruchey Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:39am
post #16 of 16

Thanks for your help, CCers! I am trying to attach pics to this thread, but it doesn't seem to be cooperating with me. Oh, well. I added it to My Photos, so, if you are interested, you can take a look there! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%