People In The Dc Area - Praising Fran's Cake And Candy

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 7:30pm by jmt1714

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 4:50am
post #1 of 9

That is the best store EVER. She has EVERYTHING you can imagine and her prices are good. I just did a search and they've been in business since 1972 and she will help with anything the customer has questions about - even new techniques... I was there today and I even heard her saying she was out of stock of something and pointed that person to a competitor in the area!!!

She has been so helpful (especially before I found this site) and I know they can't be making much money... she does it because she likes it mostly. I know a lot of these things I can buy here or online elsewhere cheaper, but sometimes you want to SEE it and FEEL it to see if that's what you want, you know?

I know she probably loses most business to Michael's and AC Moore, but you can find so much more there... So, if you ahven't discovered her store in fairfax yet, come check it out - it's worth it!!!

melissa

8 replies
jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 4:55am
post #2 of 9

do you have a website for her? maybe she ships out of state?

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:01am
post #3 of 9

That is so nice that you recommend that store. I am on the West coast so I can't visit. icon_sad.gif But there is nothing like customer service and knowledge of your product. And referring people to your competitor will only bring those people back to you because you already know where to get what you need. And to touch and see the product is even better. Some things are just better in person. ( I don't know how some people buy clothes on-line, etc. I have to try them on) I am sure she does loose some business to the others, but I am sure she makes up for it in stuff that they don't have. Either way, always love good finds!!!

berryblondeboys Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:31am
post #4 of 9

No, no online store. her competitor is online. That's what she was saying to this person on the phone, that she didn't have transfer paper, but this other lady did and she ships too... how nice was that?

When I wanted to make dummy cakes (I can buy dummies there), she told me a couple tricks... When I wanted to buy a turntable, she steered me away from Wilton and to a heavy duty cheaper one! (one side big enough for a sheet cake, the other side a 16" round). She has three companies food colorings and then on the other side of the store, fondant colorings... She has all those fruit fillings in sleeves, and pans coming out of your EARS, candy molds galore, ready made 3 stacked and covered cake plates, MDF cake separators, her whole counter display is ALL Royal icing flowers and figures for sale, etc... Amazing! Books and magazines too... If you have a question about an old Wilton Yearbook, she'll make a photocopy of it for you... She's THAT good!!!

I saw on my search, that her store makes $42,000 in sales a year... that's NOTHING... out of that she has to pay rent and everything else... Her husband works with her, but I think he's retired and this is what he does to pass his days and there is no outside help - just the two of them...

It's a gem of a store and I know once she's gone, it's gone... not enough money in it which is so sad... kind of a mom and pop place, you know?

Melissa

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:46am
post #5 of 9

This sounds like a shop here in San Antonio owned by an older couple. It has everything (even old Wilton Books in plastic covers). They are only open Tuesday through Sunday and closed a while each big holiday. A city that is bigger than Dallas should have more than one shop like theirs. As you said it is sad because when this one is gone that will be it because they couldn't make that much money. So sad.

CakesByJoJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJoJo Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 5:46am
post #6 of 9

Melissa,

What type of turntable did you get?
I have never heard or seen one that
can hold a sheet cake and be turned
over for a 16". I have seen the
tilting ones. Would you mind sharing
the brand you have?

Thanks,
Debbie

berryblondeboys Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 9

Sorry, it's 14" wide, not 16"... here's a link to a page that shows it.

http://www.ccwsupply.com/cakedec/dsupplies6.asp

Melissa

CakesByJoJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJoJo Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 9

thumbs_up.gif I appreciate the link! It looks cool. I will need to check into buying one when I can afford it!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 9

There are a number of decent cake stores in the DC area - always good to have an alternative to Michaels (ok for basic stuff, but not for really high quality or unusual items)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%