4 Layer Topsy Turvey.. Stacking Help

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 8:15pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a 2 tier topsy turvy cake. I need it extra tall (cat in the hat) so I am going to use 4 layers per tier. I think I remember saying over 3 layers I need a board in between.

Do I need to do 2 layers, supports, a board and then the other 2 layers per each tier?

This is my first topsy turvy so I am so nervous!

4 replies
SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 5

I've been watching this post waiting for a super experienced decorator to make a suggestion. I've been puzzling over it in my head. If you're doing a topsy turvy where you cut a hole in the top, you kind of come to a dilemma. I have read that you should support anything over 3 layers. But if you put a board in between the 2, you'd have 4 inch dowels on the bottom, but only an inch above that because of the hole. Maybe, because of the hole, you don't need support? I wish I knew.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 5

I would dowel and put a board every 4" of cake for sure!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 5

The hole in the top layer doesn't have to be too deep. Each tier will be 8 inches. There will be a board every 4 inches. If you are going to carve out the hole in the bottom layer, I personally wouldn't go more than 1 inch down into that top layer of cake. One of the issues people have is if the hole is too deep or too wide, it weakens the layer. I think this would be extra difficult with the taller tier. One thing I've noticed for larger topsy turvy cakes they don't actually crocked the bottom tier...just the top or top 2. You could also do the bottom tier "normal" height and the top as a tall tier...there is no right or wrong with topsy turvy...so I would go for stability over traditionicon_smile.gif

I don't have a ton of experience with the extra tall tiers but make sure your bottom tier does not use any kind of slippery fillings..sleeves, jams etc..stick too a thick buttercream or ganache to keep it extra stable. Also personally I would not torte a cake this tall. It's just one more issue with stability...but I'm not a professional and I'm highly paranoidicon_smile.gif

Good luck...can't wait to see pics.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 5

This is going to be a Dr. Suess cake so the bottom tier really need to be topsy for the effect. I am going to put boards every 4 inches as suggested with supports. I may wait until we get to the park to actually stack it just as an extra precaution.

My filling are nothing slippery, peanut butter buttercream on the bottom and strawberry buttercream on the top.

I am so nervous about this cake. It is crazy. It is for my grandson so if something happens it isnt for a paying customer but I still want it to be awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%