Wet Cakes

Decorating By Katyscc Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm by Katyscc

Katyscc Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 5

I baked cakes last night and thought they were cooled down and wrapped them in plastic wrap. I just opened them ready to crumb coat but they are almost a wet consistency from the moisture because they were no cooled all the way before wrapping. Can I still crumb coat and cover in fondant or should I let the dry out?

4 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 5

Let them dry out. Your icing won't stay on a wet cake and you may get blowouts if you try to ice over all that moisture. It's still going to try to escape.

TrixieTreats Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure exactly how wet we are talking here, but I plastic wrap my cakes hot...right out of the oven, so they are slightly "wet" when I unwrap them after they have cooled completely. I fill and ice them right away without letting them dry off with no problem, this yields a wonderfully moist cake. But, if they are too wet...and seem delicate due to the moisture, I would let them sit uncovered for a bit and then move forward.

cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixieTreats

Not sure exactly how wet we are talking here, but I plastic wrap my cakes hot...right out of the oven, so they are slightly "wet" when I unwrap them after they have cooled completely. I fill and ice them right away without letting them dry off with no problem, this yields a wonderfully moist cake.

Really??? icon_surprised.gif The only time I had a blow out was when a cake had some condensation which I didn't had time to let it dry out...I just dabbed at it with a paper towel. icon_sad.gif I wonder if it was something else???

Katyscc Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your advise. It wasn't too bad. I dabbed it with a towel and that seemed to help out. It was hard to explain lol sorry for the confusion. Very new at this. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%