I Love Meringue Buttercreams, But...

Decorating By Meagan84 Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 2:29am by Meagan84

Meagan84 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 4

I love meringue buttercreams, Italian and Swiss, but I have such a problem with bulging, especially under fondant. Does anyone else have this problem, and if you do, how do you fix it?

TIA

3 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

Do you "settle" your cakes before covering? I never did and had bulging problems then learned that little trick and voila! No more bulges.

JIC you don't know (If you do, ignore this part):

Fill cake, wrap cake in plastic wrap, put something the size of the cake or slightly larger on top - a bit heavy but not crushing (I use Leah_S's trick of a ceramic tile), put in fridge for 2-3 hours or longer. Scrape/carve off anything that oozed or bulged during the settle and ice/cover.

If you already do that and are still getting bulges than I have nothing. icon_redface.gif

HTH!

playingwithsugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 4

The advice that herekittykitty just gave is one way that several of our members force the cake to settle.

Others just allow the cake to set, covered, overnight, then clean the sides and proceed.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Meagan84 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:29am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice. It's been a long time since I tried decorating a cake with the meringue buttercream. After I found Sugarshack's recipe, I never went back, but I'm starting to miss the creamy, buttery, yumminess of the others! They are so much softer though, I didn't know if I'd have a cake disaster on my hands if I tried a tiered cake with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%