Baby Butt Cake

Business By loriemoms Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm by mommynana

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 38

I have a request to make a cake of a baby's diaper behind with feet, whatever you call it. I cannot bring myself to make this cake. It to me is in terrible taste and is actually kind of creepy looking, as man, wheres the baby;s head? It reminds me of the old bugs bunny cartoons where you see them putting porky pig on a plate with an apple in his mouth or something like that. Its WIERD.

Anyway, the cake is like 4 months away, so I can't possibly say I am booked....do I tastfully tell the person who requested it that I can't bring myself to make this cake? I honestly do not know what to tell her!

Am I just being odd? Afterall, money is money? I am not sure I want my name associated with it! (If this cake is anyones on here, my apologies...)

37 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 38

I would just tell them no. I tell people no when they ask for naughty cakes.. I simply tell them I don't do those cakes. I've got 2 in my gallery that are female in nature, but I explain I'll make a cake, but no little bits will be peeking out! icon_lol.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 38

I don't see why it matters what they want, it's not your party so make it and get your $$. I made 1 a month ago and the shower was at a restaurant, and that cake got me more clients just by bringing it in the door and people seeing it! icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

I don't see why it matters what they want, it's not your party so make it and get your $$. I made 1 a month ago and the shower was at a restaurant, and that cake got me more clients just by bringing it in the door and people seeing it! icon_biggrin.gif

So these are popular cakes??? May I ask how much you charged for it?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 38

Baby butt cake. Oh, yum, how appetizing.

I think they're awful, too, along with pregnant bellies you rip into with a knife. So, if you don't like them, tell the customer why you're not crazy about them. It may occur to her that other people would think they were gross, too. Have some other cute suggestions at the ready so you can give her other options.

Then either do it or don't do it. I have less trouble doing something I just think is gross or ugly than something that I think is actually in poor taste. I'll do the first, but not the second.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

So these are popular cakes??? May I ask how much you charged for it?

I did it for a bff's shower, but there were 36 deco'd cupcakes to go with it and I made a tower out of nice plates from $ Tree. The "rump" was the topper, so it wasn't very big. I baked it in a cereal bowl to get an idea of size. Had I charged for it all, around $85-90. Tried to attach pic, but I can't icon_sad.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:14am
post #7 of 38

You have every right to turn down a cake that you don't want to make. I would not make that cake, nor a pregnant belly cake. I don't want my name on anything that I find in poor taste.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #8 of 38

I don't get it either, but people love them! I say if you don't want to do - don't. It's up to you!! icon_lol.gif

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #9 of 38

i say do it, if u went to get ur hair cut and u showed the hair stylist a pic off a hair do and she did`t like it, and u loved it. she would have to give u that hair cut,she might say i don`t think that style will look good on u, but if u insisted, she woul have to do it

kansaslaura Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

i say do it, if u went to get ur hair cut and u showed the hair stylist a pic off a hair do and she did`t like it, and u loved it. she would have to give u that hair cut,she might say i don`t think that style will look good on u, but if u insisted, she woul have to do it

I really don't see how you can compare a haircut to a possibly offensive cake.

I don't agree with the thought that "I'll do anything for money"... nope, if I find it offensive or in poor taste, I'm not going to do it. But, if you like, I'll send them your way....

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:23am
post #11 of 38

In my opinion, this cake is kind of a joke in the "cake world". I couldn't believe it when I got a request for one the other day also. I politely suggested something a little more "special", and the client agreed (thank goodness). I suggested that some of the pictures of these cakes look very cute, then when you see them from a different angle...a half a baby...no head...scary. I will not cave into making such a cake. Just my opinion though.

loriemoms Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonergirl

In my opinion, this cake is kind of a joke in the "cake world". I couldn't believe it when I got a request for one the other day also. I politely suggested something a little more "special", and the client agreed (thank goodness). I suggested that some of the pictures of these cakes look very cute, then when you see them from a different angle...a half a baby...no head...scary. I will not cave into making such a cake. Just my opinion though.

Thank you, I Never thought of stating it that way...that maybe the photo is cute, but think of the cake as all over, and it will look like a baby has sunk into the cake or has no head or something. I am going to give that a try...there are SO many cute baby cake ideas...why do this one? if she doesnt like it, she can try another bakery I guess...

mommynana Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #13 of 38

i agree goovergril u made a suggestion and the client agreed, what if she did`t if ur in business your suposed to please the client anyway if they don`t want to hear ur suggestions , what r u suppposed do turn thm away? i allso don`t agree with the half the baby thing and even if the baby had a beautiful face i would`t want to cut it.. but it don`t bothe some people i guess so if ur not going to make it and its what she really wants shes just going to look elsewere a couple of weeks ago i called a place to cater food everyone said how good this place was will i was going to order a few dishes and the first i told him i wanted i think was a chicken with something or other and he said oh u should get the chicken with this and that well i dont want the chicken with this or that well we moved on the the second dish i wanted callamai and squglli ( which is 2 fish) and he said oh i dont make them anymore they r very expansive to make so i thank him for his time and said goodbuy the point is the customer could allways go elswhere....ur not going to cut the cake or even see after if leaves ur place

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 38

mommynana, if the little profit one makes from one small cake is that important then make it. It is apparently not to the OP, so she can just let the customer go to someone like you who has no problem with the style.

If one makes only buttercream and the client wants fondant, or one only makes fondant and the client wants piped buttercream, the client can either buy a cake one is comfortable with making or go elsewhere.
I don't make cakes of body parts, unless it's Halloween.
(Actually, I did make some body parts Christmas cookies once.)

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #15 of 38

I actually WILL do anything for money. Have her call me! LOL

fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 38

I guess I have yet to see one of these cakes. Does anyone have a pic?

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 38

I found this one and I think they are pretty cute and obviously everyone knows you are still eating cake it isn't like you are actually eating a body part. There are more distasteful things out there that's for sure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakeladycakes/3492938265/

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #18 of 38

I think they are cute but I would not want to make one. Creepy.

mommynana Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:25am
post #19 of 38

i just think that if ur in bussiness and a customer asks for something that she likes and u do that kind of work ( thats y ur in business) then the customer should get what they want even if u dont like what they order

kansaslaura Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:50am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

i just think that if ur in bussiness and a customer asks for something that she likes and u do that kind of work ( thats y ur in business) then the customer should get what they want even if u dont like what they order

I couldn't DISagree more. Just because you make/decorate cakes doesn't mean you do every single kind of cake style/flavor/type under the sun. If that was the case there would only be need of ONE cake store with many locations all over the world.. kinda like McDonald's.. ya know??

And while we're on the subject of McDonald's.. using your logic, since they make things with beef, potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes do you think you could go in there and order a Steak, baked potato and a big side salad? No? Why not--they make beef and potatoes, they have lettuce and tomatoes!!

Because they don't make THAT kind of meal---so you go where they do.

mommynana Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #21 of 38

well the customer went to where they make cakes to order a cake the owner did`s say she don`t MAKE thoes cakes, she said she DOSE`T LIKE thoes cakes.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #22 of 38

I guess I just don't understand the problem! I've done four of these type of cakes in the last year, it's my most requested shower cake. The clients love them for their "cuteness" and I've never once thought it was creepy! After all it is just cake and icing! I know it and the client knows it! If you are in the position to turn down this type of order than do so, it is after all your business!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #24 of 38

I don't see it creepy, I just see them really ugly and tacky.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #25 of 38

Nobody has to do anything they don't want to do. If you own your own business you're in the position of being able to turn down cakes that you don't want to do. I turn down cakes all the time, whether becasue they're asking for a copyrighted character, an adult cake (which I really don't feel like dealing with) or just something that I think is crazy (Some woman asked for a 4 foot tall cake shaped like her daughter.)

Just because someone asks you for something doesn't mean that you have to do it. You're a cake decorator, not a cake slave. And until they've given you a deposit they're not really your customer anyway, they're just a shopper.

mommynana Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 1:13am
post #26 of 38

well it would be a dull world if everyone had the same opinion

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #27 of 38

It would indeed.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #28 of 38

I don't see the problem with them, personally. I think they're kinda cute - although I've never thought of it as anything more than a cute cake (I've never considered that one is "eating half of a baby", in other words). Of course there are things that one person finds "cute" and another person finds "creepy". If that's the design the customer wants, I don't think you should try to change her mind. However, you have every right to say "I'm not available that day; I'm sorry" and move on. This is regarding any cake you don't feel comfortable with. My comfort level has not yet been pressed, but I don't think I'd have a problem turning it down should that happen.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:23pm
post #29 of 38

I have to do one next week and I personally don't think they are cute and don't want to do it. But I have had several requests and always priced them really high so I won't have to do it. This customer is willing to pay the price, so I am going to do it. I have different taste and would never order one, but we all have different taste and just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I shouldn't do it. For example, I hate the color purple and hate when people order a purple cake. But I do it, because that is what they want icon_smile.gif

mommynana Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #30 of 38

1234me, i agree 110 %

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%