Sheet Cake Trouble

Decorating By bayoubelle Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 2:20am by LogansMommie

bayoubelle Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 6

Made a 2 layer 12"x18" sheet cake, when I went to put 2nd layer on top of 1st, the cake started breaking. icon_sad.gif Can someone please share with me an easy way to do this without the cake falling apart? Thanks

5 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 6

I use a cake board and put one end of the top layer on top of the bottom layer and ease the board out the other end little by little. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation. icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

I use a cake board and put one end of the top layer on top of the bottom layer and ease the board out the other end little by little. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation. icon_smile.gif

I do the same thing except I put it in the freezer for a bit to make it a bit firmer when I slide it over.

Bethkay Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 6

I cut my sheets in half (so they are basically quarter-sheets) and place them side by side. The seam in the middle seals up with buttercream and the smaller cakes are much less likely to break. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

I do the same as AnotherCreation and VentureSister, but I bought a giant sideless cookie sheet just for this purpose. I spray it lightly with non-stick spray, then wipe most of that off, to reduce the icky taste. The I just put the sheet cake layer on it and gently slide it off onto the bottom layer.

I've used Bethkay's tip in the past too.

LogansMommie Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 6

I have two Wilton cake lifters and love them, but generally just end up using one with my hand supporting the other side of the sheet cake. I match up the 2nd tier on one side and lightly drop it while removing my hand, then just carefully slip out the cake lifter for the other side - Voila! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%