Chocolate Ganache Filling

Decorating By kirogers Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm by mayo2222

kirogers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirogers Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone ever use chocolate ganache as a cake filling? If so, was it tasty? Also what recipe did you use? I am making my friends wedding cake in a few weeks, and she wanted Chco Ganach filling. I just wanted to be sure I would do it before I told her yes!

Thank,
Katie

15 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 16

Chocolate ganache is fabulous as a filling. I use 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part heavy cream, 1-2 tbls of real butter and 1-2tbls of real vanilla. You can also add candy flavoring oils (LorAnn) like raspberry.

The better your quality of chocolate, the better your final outcome. I get the huge bars of Belgian Dark from the Fresh & Easy Market near me. If you are near Trader Joe's they have big bars of good chocolate at reasonable prices. You can make it w/chocolate chips but I like to chop the big bars.

Put chopped chocolate in a big bowl (I put it in my stand mixer bowl). Bring cream, butter & flavors just to a boil (be careful it can boil over really fast). Pour hot cream on chocolate--let it sit for a few minutes. Stir to melt--keep going until it is glossy. WALK AWAY--let it sit overnight at room temp. I cover mine w/a clean tea towel.

In the AM, you can use it as is or whip it w/the mixer.

Kristy

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:45am
post #3 of 16

I use 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream, 7 ounces semi sweet chocolate, 2 tablespoons butter and a splash of vanilla. After you make the ganache you can let it cool and then whip with a mixer into whipped ganache. Instead of a thin fudge layer you would get a nice mousse like chocolate filling. Yum.

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:16am
post #4 of 16

In Australia it's used pretty exclusively for wedding cakes. We don't use any butter just good quality chocolate and cream. I use a ratio of 2:1, semi sweet chocolate and cream. So easy to make and use.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:23am
post #5 of 16

I don't use anything else besides chocolate and cream too. 2 to 1 ratio for milk and dark chocolate and 3 to 1 ratio for white chocolate.

kirogers Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks so much for all the tips! I am going to practice on a birthday cake this weekend! icon_smile.gif

Katie

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #7 of 16

Mamarobin also uses butter. I haven't seen her on here lately. What's the saying everything tastes better with butter. I have always used butter.

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 16

I just made my first batch of gananche thanks to the help in this post....Now what? I am wanting to pour it over my cake. I know one of you said to let it sit overnight. Will that make it harden? Do you have to mix it or anything the next day?

KJ62798 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 16

If you let it set up overnight, it will have a sort of peanut butter consistency that is perfect for spreading. If it gets too hard for spreading, you can warm it a little in the micro. It only takes 10-15sec to get it back to spreadable consistency.

Kristy

cakesbyamber Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:45am
post #10 of 16

Am I correct in assuming that it does not need to be refridgerated?

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:59am
post #11 of 16

When you use it for filling, what do you use for a dam?

KJ62798 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #12 of 16

It does NOT need to be refridgerated. Think about chocolate truffles--they are filled with ganache and sit out at room temp all the time.

For filling, if I am going to frost w/ganache I don't do a dam.

If I will be frosting w/BC, I do a dam w/BC so the dark chocolate doesn't show through the lighter colored frosting.

Kristy

kirogers Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:41am
post #13 of 16

Kristy,

I made the your ganache recipe and I LOVED it as well as all my friends who ate the birthday cake!!! I am using it on a wedding cake next weekend, so I know the bride will LOVE it too. The only thing I was told was to out MORE!!! haha I will do my best! Thanks for your help!!

Katie

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 16

Ok now I got to try this. Hopefully Baker's SS chocolate will do. Not sure where to find fancy chocolates around here.

cakesbyamber Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks Kristy for helping (and to everyone else too). By the way Melrose, I used nestle chocolate chips and it turned out great.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 16

A good side note is that the ratios for ganache are based on weight, not by volume.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%