Pumpkin Shape Using Soccer Pan?

Decorating By xmstazx Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 2:44am by cakesrock

xmstazx Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 10

How would I make a pumpkin shaped cake using the wilton soccer ball pan? Can it be done? Does anyone have pictures? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 10

I don't see why it can't be done, it will just be very rounded. icon_smile.gif

I've made them using the bundt pan and carved some rounds once cause I wanted a different shape to it.

psm89 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 10

I have used a bundt pan with the rounded edges (like a pumpkin), Put one upright and set the other one upside down. Covered in fondant it looked just like a pumpkin.

xmstazx Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 10

I might have to try that with the bunt pans....What do you fill the hole in the top with?

jennymac1980 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #5 of 10

Well, I've done this and I must say it turns out a little more like a football without the pointy edges. I would say the bundt pans are a much better choice. I think I have my pumpkin posted in my photos if you want to check it out. In hind sight I would have added a round in between the two soccer balls. Guess that gives you some options at least : )

tokazodo Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #6 of 10

In this video, Chef Duff, Ace of Cakes, makes a pumpkin cake. He said he used a Styrofoam ball as the base because the cake would fall apart.

Personally, I've seen the bunt cake pumpkin many times and it is very cute.

Ace of Cakes makes a pumpkin cake

aquamom Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #7 of 10

Bundt pan works well. I had a lot of fun making one last fall. I need to make another one this year. I used RKT for the stem.

kelleyskreations Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #8 of 10

In Debbie Browns 50 easy party cakes they make a pumpkin out of a round cake. She uses 2 bowls to make the shape but pretty much the same thing as the soccer pan. She just cuts ridges from top to bottom to give it that pumpkin look icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #9 of 10
Originally Posted by xmstazx

I might have to try that with the bunt pans....What do you fill the hole in the top with?

The top hole would be filled with cake or RKT to look like a stem, the bottom one would just be left alone, it won't be seen.

cakesrock Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #10 of 10

I used 2 bundt pans (invert the bottom one) and a 8 inch round in the middle between them, then carved and it turned out well. See my Trick or Treat Halloween pumpkin bucket cake in my photos (2nd page). Tried the soccer ball first and it did not work...

Quote by @%username% on %date%