Cracked Cake!! Need Advice Please

Decorating By bayoubelle Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm by bayoubelle

bayoubelle Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 4

I baked a double layer 12"x18" sheet cake (planning to cover with MMF)when tried to put the 2nd layer on top of the first, it split!! Will the cake still hold the weight of the fondant when I cover it? Need advice ASAP! pLeAsE!! icon_cry.gif

3 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 4

Put some icing in the crack and "glue it back together and go on with crumb coat and fondant it will be fine.

Sassy74 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 4

Hmmm. You may have a couple of options here, but either way it's not terminal. I've had larger layers split several times and have never had to start over. It's tough to maneuver those big suckers into place with only two hands lol !

If you want to, you could turn the cake over. Place your top layer, making sure to push the pieces tightly together without squishing it, and put just a little pressure to adhere it to the filling well so that it doesn't move around. Just make sure your layers line up evenly with one another. Place a board on top, and just flip it over so that the split layer is on bottom now. It's a big cake so you may need two sets of hands lol .

I think you can leave it as is if you want to, though. Just be sure you put enough icing on the cake to seal it really well and hold those layers in place. Not sure how much icing you put on a fondant-covered cake, but I'd put a good layer on. Maybe not as thick as usual (if you weren't covering it with fondant), but thicker than a crumbcoat. Let that set up REALLY well and cover with your fondant as usual. I actually place my cake in the freezer for about 10 min before I cover with fondant.

Don't worry, dear! This is no biggie, and your cake should be just fine either way. HTH

bayoubelle Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks soo much for the reassurance!! I really appreciate it! I just didn't want the cake to start falling apart at the I've never made such a large sheet cake before and it makes me very nervous! and yes, it was very hard to maneuver that big sucker!! I thought I was about to have an anxiety attack! hehe icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%