Need Help On Lettering For A Surfboard

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm by ddaigle

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a surfboard cake tomorrow and I've got to duplicate the "Natural Art" on the board. What will be the best way to achieve this? I can't get the pic to attach but it's pretty artsy. They want buttercream instead of fondant but I can use fondant accents. Buttercream transfer maybe? TIa

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

Can you paint it?

dnrlee Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 8

you can't paint on buttercream can you??

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 8

Depending on what the text looks like this may or may not work, but I do a lot of letters with royal icing. I print out the exact size I want them to be on a piece of paper (with extra space b/w letters) and then put a piece of wax paper over it (taped to the counter so it doesn't shift). Then I pipe/trace over the print out. You could use a brush to help shape or fill in the letters as need be. Then dry, peel and stick on the cake.

As for painting on buttercream, I haven't ever done it, but have read others posting about how it can be done, so that may be worth searching for...

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 8

P.S. Royal icing can be painted with food color (or pearl dust) and vodka. Just don't over saturate it with the liquid when painting.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

you can't paint on buttercream can you??

If it is a crusting buttercream you can.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219978

I used airbrush colors and a paint brush (q-tip for the red dots) to paint this cake to match his skate board.

dnrlee Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 8

WOW! that is awesome!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 8

I painted the trees and black grass on my grim reaper cake..bottom of 1st page of my gallery. I also used airbrush color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%