Need Help On Lettering For A Surfboard

Decorating By dnrlee Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm by ddaigle

dnrlee Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a surfboard cake tomorrow and I've got to duplicate the "Natural Art" on the board. What will be the best way to achieve this? I can't get the pic to attach but it's pretty artsy. They want buttercream instead of fondant but I can use fondant accents. Buttercream transfer maybe? TIa

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

Can you paint it?

dnrlee Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 8

you can't paint on buttercream can you??

CakesbyCarla Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 8

Depending on what the text looks like this may or may not work, but I do a lot of letters with royal icing. I print out the exact size I want them to be on a piece of paper (with extra space b/w letters) and then put a piece of wax paper over it (taped to the counter so it doesn't shift). Then I pipe/trace over the print out. You could use a brush to help shape or fill in the letters as need be. Then dry, peel and stick on the cake.

As for painting on buttercream, I haven't ever done it, but have read others posting about how it can be done, so that may be worth searching for...

CakesbyCarla Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 8

P.S. Royal icing can be painted with food color (or pearl dust) and vodka. Just don't over saturate it with the liquid when painting.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

you can't paint on buttercream can you??

If it is a crusting buttercream you can.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219978

I used airbrush colors and a paint brush (q-tip for the red dots) to paint this cake to match his skate board.

dnrlee Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 8

WOW! that is awesome!

ddaigle Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 8

I painted the trees and black grass on my grim reaper cake..bottom of 1st page of my gallery. I also used airbrush color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%